Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technology (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Google Earth View Wallpapers - Android App (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34961)

Emera 03-27-2016 06:39 PM

Google Earth View Wallpapers - Android App

I've put together an Android app that will randomly download an image from Google Earth View and use it as your phone background. It's not 100% finished yet, but downloading and setting the wallpaper works, which is the main feature really.

Find more info on the app's webpage: http://earthview.aaronyarborough.co.uk

Download from the Google Play Store

Please leave feedback/issues/suggestions here, or mail them to me. My email is on the site ("Contact Me")

Yog 03-27-2016 06:53 PM

Posting so I don't forget to check it out when I'm on my Android.

Shiz 03-27-2016 07:35 PM

If I had an Android I'd definitely get this... :(

Keep it up dude!

Dusty 03-27-2016 07:54 PM

Make every 5 wallpapers an ad. Roll in da money.

Emera 03-27-2016 07:56 PM

Quote:

Posted by Dusty (Post 688643)
Make every 5 wallpapers an ad. Roll in da money.

Never even thought about ads. I just wanted to put something together to get familiar with Android dev but tbh, not a bad idea xD

Edit: I'm not legit going to start setting people's wallpapers as ads. I've just added a banner to the bottom of the app.

Emera 03-27-2016 10:28 PM

The app is now available on the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hviewwallpaper

Distorted_P2P 03-27-2016 10:31 PM

Wonderful app. Will download soon.

I'd probably pay 99 cents to support it btw.

Emera 03-27-2016 10:39 PM

Quote:

Posted by Distorted_P2P (Post 688694)
Wonderful app. Will download soon.

I'd probably pay 99 cents to support it btw.

Hey, thanks :) I don't really feel like it offers anything of enough value to warrant a charge however. I'm happy with a banner ad at the bottom for now, though I'm definitely thinking of putting together some more apps in my free time. It'd be fun to make a small addictive game along the lines of colour switch or flappy bird.

TWIZ 03-27-2016 10:40 PM

Does it save the image to your gallery?

Emera 03-27-2016 10:41 PM

Quote:

Posted by TWIZ (Post 688696)
Does it save the image to your gallery?

No, but that's a cool idea. I could display a dialog box to the user once the image has downloaded asking if they want to save the image to their gallery?

TWIZ 03-27-2016 10:47 PM

Quote:

Posted by Emera (Post 688697)
No, but that's a cool idea. I could display a dialog box to the user once the image has downloaded asking if they want to save the image to their gallery?

That's probably a better idea, to give an option. Not everyone wants a thousand images of random people's houses, but if there happens to be an image of a cool geological feature, I would totally want to keep it.

Also, does it give gps coordinates of the image?

Emera 03-27-2016 10:51 PM

Quote:

Posted by TWIZ (Post 688701)
That's probably a better idea, to give an option. Not everyone wants a thousand images of random people's houses, but if there happens to be an image of a cool geological feature, I would totally want to keep it.

It's also possible to use the following data that's brought back from Earth View:
  • Latitude/longitude of taken image
  • Country of taken image
  • Postal code of taken image

With the latitude/longitude, I could also create a button that opens Google Maps at the point the image was taken.

I also plan on moving the "View Website" button into a menu option that can be accessed through a button on the title bar. I don't feel it belongs where it's currently sat.

TWIZ 03-27-2016 10:59 PM

I clicked on the link, and I must say I do like the visual aspect of the display in the play store(the cover image and logo)

Is it possible to add a zoom option? Meaning you can select how much zoom is applied to the random image. I'm on my Samsung tablet, so the image turned out pretty blurry. I would think if the image was zoomed out a little bit more it would look fine.

Or is the blur a matter of something else?

Not that a zoom option wouldn't be cool whether it affects blur or not.

Distorted_P2P 03-27-2016 11:01 PM

I would do what Windows does and automatically change the background maybe once or twice a day.

Emera 03-27-2016 11:03 PM

Quote:

Posted by TWIZ (Post 688707)
I clicked on the link, and I must say I do like the visual aspect of the display in the play store(the cover image and logo)

Is it possible to add a zoom option? Meaning you can select how much zoom is applied to the random image. I'm on my Samsung tablet, so the image turned out pretty blurry. I would think if the image was zoomed out a little bit more it would look fine.

Or is the blur a matter of something else?

Not that a zoom option wouldn't be cool whether it affects blur or not.

It would be possible to set up a cropper like the one you're given on the Facebook app when you go to set your profile picture, but I'm guessing the blur you're experiencing is because the downloaded images aren't hi-res and your device is trying just stretching them to fit the screen.