Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Graal Discussion (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is graal really that P2W/P2P? or not because they only have one type of currency (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40301)

Zara2 04-10-2018 06:23 AM

Is graal really that P2W/P2P? or not because they only have one type of currency

Hello I have a question for all of you its on the title

Im not sure since most of the times pay to enjoy/win games have two types of currency while graal only has one (NOT INCLUDING EVENT COINS! THATS ANOTHER STORY! SINCE YOU OBVIOUSLY CANT BUY THEM.)

because almost every game out there has two types of currency and it rally makes you spend!!! to get the good stuff and enjoy!!!

But graal.. you can just earn them :) if you wanty get it faster you can always buy
so whatr your thoughts? :)

Kamaeru 04-10-2018 09:04 AM

I know what you're talking about, and it's used to great effect without being a boon on non-paying characters in PSO2 where they keep introducing new types of currency. Seems like they do it to effect inflation, it would be useful even if the game doesn't even involve microtransactions. I like having different levels of investment for the player, stuff like this is even done in a few zelda games. All that really matters is if it's fun or not, but developers of these types of games with microtransactions are using feedback loops to take advantage of weak minded players which I think is a bad practice.

I might be a hypocrite since I run bomy island which was a server that focused so hard on the value of currency as a main gameplay element that players were trading real life cash for it in 2001.

Eugeen 04-10-2018 12:53 PM

Graal Era, Zone & Ol’west are pay2win to an extent, you still need skills after buying weapons to compete unless you see wealth as winning
Classic is somewhat pay2win if you count customizations and a social status as winning, when it comes to PvP/PvM then not at all since the combat system is very basic.

Even though money doesn’t gaurantee winning in particular it doesn’t change the fact that prices on graal are absurd and basically a ripoff whether you farm in-game or buy gralats

Sawyer 04-10-2018 02:14 PM

classic isn't pay to win. None of the core game mechanics are based on the currency.

everyone is on an equal playing field.

Heeble 04-10-2018 03:00 PM

Quote:

Posted by Sawyer (Post 809267)
classic isn't pay to win. None of the core game mechanics are based on the currency.

everyone is on an equal playing field.

There is an argument in the games industry that cosmetics can be used in a P2W manner. It all comes down to psychology. Not everyone can have a nihilistic viewpoint about how their personal avatar looks. Many people want to have a good looking avatar and to look good you have to pay.

The core gameplay is not P2W by any means. Everyone's sword hits the same amount of hearts as do all bombs and arrow variants, everyone has the same amount of hearts, etc.

The only content that could be considered to have a P2W aspect are horses. Currently, a horseshoed Foo Lion is the fastest mount in the game. The two mounts under it are the Sabertooth and a horseshoed Armored Panda; I am not sure which is faster than the other. Flying mounts also nullify the slow travel in water.
A counter to the above is that when speed matters (horse race, for instance, which has also not been hosted in a long time) often times all mounts in the area are set to be the same speed.

Fulgore 04-10-2018 04:37 PM

classic is not p2w in any sense of the word "win" that's reasonable

imSupah 04-10-2018 06:31 PM

Just because a game has one currency does not mean it's not P2W. You also have to consider factors such as how bearable is the grind, the prices, how much you earn, etc. I played Era for 6 years and could tell you first hand that a paying player will have a much more advantage than a free player. The mechanics aren't that hard to figure out and once that player have it down pact, they will pretty much outgun free players that haven't been playing for long. Same can be applied for Zone and Ol'West. Classic is not P2W however as it's purely cosmetic and everyone having the same set of weapons: bow, sword, bombs, and throwing objects.

McCullough 04-10-2018 07:24 PM

Technically, P2W is high when it comes to cosmetics. Thankfully this game has a learning curve for all three competitive branches within graal, those being Spar, Tower, and GST. You can't pay for a weapon that gives you any advantage. Kids like cosmetics, and kids are lazy:

Bribe with low prices when gralats prices are 30k for a vending machine and 110k for a two-person mount.

tristanfosho 04-10-2018 08:03 PM

I never thought of Graal as pay to win. Supah is absolutely correct that in the end it comes down to how much pvp experience the player has. The guns only make a small difference and none of them are restricted to real life currency only.

When I think of p2w it would mean you would need to pay real life currency to buy a buff to boost your damage or your HP or to have some sort of advantage over a player who can only use gralats. I am glad graal has decided not to go down a path like that in pursuit of money and kept it fair for everyone :D

Sawyer 04-11-2018 06:22 PM

basically Zone, Ol' west, and Era have P2W aspects, because of the gun mechanics. I remember back when I played zone a good amount, you would just get rammed by the ap rippers (I think that's what they are called). But, you can still win because the combat is more about experience playing the game.

cosmetics are not P2W.

bL1nK 04-11-2018 11:12 PM

Quote:

Posted by Sawyer (Post 809335)
basically Zone, Ol' west, and Era have P2W aspects, because of the gun mechanics. I remember back when I played zone a good amount, you would just get rammed by the ap rippers (I think that's what they are called). But, you can still win because the combat is more about experience playing the game.

cosmetics are not P2W.

Agreed.

You don't gain anything with cosmetics in Classic, whereas in Era, if you manage to get the next best thing, aka 'the fresh new gun that gets released and goes un-nerfed for an hour' and proceed to spar, you win (hopefully), and those statistics get you closer to rewards and clout (lol).

But, as TristanFoSho and Supah have mentioned, it also varies based on how well a player can utilize the tools given to them and how much experience they have.