Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Chat (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Hobbies Thread (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41296)

The Doctor 02-28-2019 03:32 PM

Hobbies Thread

What are some cool hobbies you do outside of Graal? Are you a part of any interesting clubs / organizations?

Last semester, I joined a caving group at my university and we go on caving trips every week or so. This was very much the best decision I’ve made at university.

Garutias 02-28-2019 07:39 PM

I’m learning basic coding like html and css

Bryan* 02-28-2019 08:32 PM

poetry, basketball, training

Colin 03-01-2019 09:27 PM

Don’t know if collecting things is it’s self a hobby but I collect a lot of things music oriented (and I also play acoustic/electric guitar). Things like posters for specific artists/bands/albums, rock pop figurines, and my primary source of listening is through records (currently own over 50).

I’ve also gotten into programming as a hobby recently but for a very specific field, a lot of the biology tools frequently used in my field are just tedious and unappealing. So I’ve taken up the computer science field of bioinformatics as a for-fun hobby, and in creating some of my own programs and databases it also does allow me to study a lot more. Biology in general is a hobby of mine, although since it’s my planned field of work I don’t know if that still meets the criteria as being a hobby.

The Doctor 03-03-2019 03:27 AM

Quote:

Posted by Colin (Post 824692)
Don’t know if collecting things is it’s self a hobby but I collect a lot of things music oriented (and I also play acoustic/electric guitar). Things like posters for specific artists/bands/albums, rock pop figurines, and my primary source of listening is through records (currently own over 50).

I’ve also gotten into programming as a hobby recently but for a very specific field, a lot of the biology tools frequently used in my field are just tedious and unappealing. So I’ve taken up the computer science field of bioinformatics as a for-fun hobby, and in creating some of my own programs and databases it also does allow me to study a lot more. Biology in general is a hobby of mine, although since it’s my planned field of work I don’t know if that still meets the criteria as being a hobby.

Just curious, what kind of music do you like?

Colin 03-03-2019 03:26 PM

Mainly classic rock, Jimi Hendrix/Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd etc. Both because these bands tend to be leagues above most present artists not just instrumentally but lyrically as well (in my opinion).

I listen to songs from nearly every genre though, so long as the song is good. Johnny Cash & Lana Del Rey are my favourite solo artists.

Rusix 03-03-2019 07:02 PM

I have somewhat a large thing of hobbies I do that I actually just break into parts of the week to attend them, During week days after work I enjoy taking a large variety of courses from Udemy, Always taking different courses to learn new things, Learned a lot already from things from business to graphic design to hacking and coding and so on, I don't plan on using everything I learn, I just like to learn new things. Week ends i usually go hunting when it is hunting season and camp, Or when it isn't hunting season I just hang out and do exercises and different work out routines with a few friends and sometimes do fun stunts, Well they do fun stunts i just watch and laugh when they fail. Which is 90% of the time, Other 10% is fail but it is passing enough.

Realized most things i do now is pretty much just hobbies so not sure if that is a good thing or what.

Mashboyellis 03-03-2019 08:00 PM

Beach Volleyball, Cross Country, Slacklining, baking, aimlessly flirting with Spanish guys with my obvious foreign accent, you know... the usual.

Quote:

Posted by Bryan* (Post 824673)
poetry, basketball, training

I used to write some poetry as well, haven't written some in a while though. It seems to be much easier to write when you're down, given that most of my poems were about dark themes.

Snow Noob 03-04-2019 08:42 PM

My hobby is binge watching TV while telling myself there are things I need to get done.

I also like collecting vinyls and snow globes.

Ark 03-05-2019 08:14 AM

I like hiking : )
Also, stargazing -- astronomy is one of my biggest passions; I'm very fortunate to live in an area with very little light pollution.

GOAT 03-09-2019 11:24 PM

Paying bills is my new hobby :'(

MrSimons 06-23-2019 10:50 PM

Gotten really into lego's again, its a dangerous hobby as an adult with how expensive they are.

Aftermath 06-25-2019 06:07 PM

I play trombone, that’s pretty fun
I’m trying to collect jojo’s bizarre adventure books don’t know if that’s considered a hobby
I like drawing but I hate everything I end up making

Phenalix 06-29-2019 04:47 PM

i dont really do hobbies outside graal but related, just like improving my shading and making pixel arts

5hift 07-06-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Posted by MrSimons (Post 826429)
Gotten really into lego's again, its a dangerous hobby as an adult with how expensive they are.

Me and my cousin used to spend the entire weekend building legos particularly Bionicles.

Later I stopped having the time and parts to invest in it but he continued on to make some seriously impressive stuff.