Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Chat (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Net neutrality Discussion (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39930)

Rusix 11-22-2017 06:13 PM

Net neutrality Discussion

For those of you who aren't aware. The FCC may make it more difficult for people to access the internet. in a sense can limit your ability to access the web, Making it much harder for anyone who doesn't have a **** ton of money to access things they want. Example being is if you wanted to access some gaming website. But instead you got a webpage saying.
"Sorry, But you haven't paid for entertainment part of your internet, Pay $20 more to unlock it?".
In my opinion, This is terrible. Because it stops people from using the internet. It stops the openly connected world from accessing to each other. It can in a sense even possibly stop you from meeting and talking to your friend from another country, Because you don't have the "Open Global" package. Or whatever BS they may come up with.

It seems to be more about Profits...over people. And I want to hear your opinions on this. If you're against it talk to your senators in your state and the FCC.

Eugeen 11-22-2017 06:23 PM

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

Fysez 11-22-2017 06:44 PM

That's not entirely the case.

While it is possible that without net neutrality, we could end up paying for certain services, it's not a goal of those against net neutrality.
I'm all for everyone having a fair play at the internet, but when you actually look into net neutrality laws over ISPs, the terms are ridiculously intensive.

For example, with net neutrality, ISPs are dictated like monopolies. Even mom-and-pop ISPs. It makes it super hard for new companies to come in if they don't already have a load of money to pay for proving that they aren't interfering with connections.
Another example is that under the Title II, the FCC can add new regulations and internet "laws" without consent from the ISP, and without us as users, rendering the ISP business model a terrible business to even get into.

Really it's more about how net neutrality is implemented than it is about not messing with how you view content. Even before net neutrality, there was nothing wrong with the internet, these ISPs didn't make it a goal to force you to pay more money for services.

TomatoPanda 11-22-2017 09:16 PM

Ill just go back to tv and play station if this *** happens. Unlike others I miss the days where a living room was people talking to each other face to face and not checking FB,SC or IG 24/7. Think back pre 2008 and tell me you dont miss those thanksgivings where people wernt looking at their phones. Imo if something like this does happen it should only restrict phones not pcs

Ghettoicedtea 11-22-2017 10:54 PM

The net was more free without net neutrality. Now its basically Facebook, Netflix, Amazon and Google that control the internet. Also notice how the main corporations who bitch about it are the ones i just listed. They dont want to lose their power

Shmegg 11-22-2017 11:57 PM

Quote:

Posted by Fysez (Post 801947)
For example, with net neutrality, ISPs are dictated like monopolies. Even mom-and-pop ISPs. It makes it super hard for new companies to come in if they don't already have a load of money to pay for proving that they aren't interfering with connections.
Another example is that under the Title II, the FCC can add new regulations and internet "laws" without consent from the ISP, and without us as users, rendering the ISP business model a terrible business to even get into.

It's going to be an even harder business to get into when you have to pay ISPs to not throttle connection to your website/online services. Or they might just take the money and run, considering that they now have the ability to stamp out access to any online competitor that they see.

Rusix 11-23-2017 12:58 AM

Quote:

Posted by Ghettoicedtea (Post 801956)
The net was more free without net neutrality. Now its basically Facebook, Netflix, Amazon and Google that control the internet. Also notice how the main corporations who bitch about it are the ones i just listed. They dont want to lose their power

No, If anything it doesn't really deal with them so much, They wouldn't want it because it can effect their business through their consumers and they may need to pay a lot of money to internet service providers to be put on the "fast" lane". It mostly deals with the Internet Providers.

For example. Let's say you go to Facebook. But you are stuck in a slow lane. Because your ISP doesn't want you to connect to it quickly because you don't have the social media package, But want faster? Pay more to be put on the fast lane!

And with things like the Net neutrality, It stops businesses from doing that because it must treat everyone equal on the web. But they want to remove that because it would make businesses more money because they can make you pay even more for certain services.and make you ONLY use their services.

Example i heard from a tweet is if it is removed. If you use Verizon they may make it impossible for you to use ANY web browser besides Yahoo. Why? Because Verizon owns it.

Quote:

That's not entirely the case.

While it is possible that without net neutrality, we could end up paying for certain services, it's not a goal of those against net neutrality.
I'm all for everyone having a fair play at the internet, but when you actually look into net neutrality laws over ISPs, the terms are ridiculously intensive.

Really it's more about how net neutrality is implemented than it is about not messing with how you view content. Even before net neutrality, there was nothing wrong with the internet, these ISPs didn't make it a goal to force you to pay more money for services.

This would HURT business more than HELP it actually, Unless your a ISP.

Thing's like Discord,And other social media things could infact be severely hurt by this. Because they would have to pay thousands, If not even more than thousands of dollars to not have their connection to their app or site messed with.

Only real people benefiting from this, Are the ISP. Because they would make you pay more for accessing certain things and may stop you from accessing certain things. Like I said in the other comment. Got a Verizon phone? They may stop you from using Google. And use Yahoo instead. It could hurt a lot of people who also can't pay a lot for internet

RyanB 11-23-2017 01:32 AM

Lol **** Verizon some fags gonna make another website where you can watch YouTube on it kek

Rusix 11-23-2017 02:03 AM

Quote:

Posted by RyanB (Post 801969)
Lol **** Verizon some fags gonna make another website where you can watch YouTube on it kek

Lol... It's not that simple....You see whoever your internet provider is. They can make you pay more to access certain content. It isn't something a Web Proxy can help with. Because if Net neutrality is removed. It let's internet providers see what you do on the internet. Although internet companies are saying they will not charge or ever do such.

But let's be honest. Can we trust that claim? Probably no. It's like being in a lions den. And the lion promises not to eat you, Is it possible that lion won't? Yes. Likely to not keep its promise? Extremely low

MrSimons 11-23-2017 02:16 AM

Quote:

Another example is that under the Title II, the FCC can add new regulations and internet "laws" without consent from the ISP, and without us as users, rendering the ISP business model a terrible business to even get into. .

ISPs are monopolies. I have literally never lived somewhere that I have the ability to choose my ISP.

Fysez 11-23-2017 03:09 AM

I'm definitely pro-net neutrality. But a lot of people get the facts wrong and look up information on net neutrality on entirely biased sites. I'm doing an academic research paper over net neutrality, and several people I interviewed didn't know anything about the other side of the argument.

Quote:

Posted by MrSimons (Post 801976)
ISPs are monopolies. I have literally never lived somewhere that I have the ability to choose my ISP.

Can't relate, I have that ability. They aren't technically monopolies.

Ximithie 11-23-2017 03:47 AM

Uh-oh we will even have to pay to play graal on the internet.

GOAT 11-23-2017 04:16 AM

Don't worry, John Oliver will save us again.

TWIZ 11-23-2017 07:15 AM

Good because y'all need to start reading more newspapers

Ryan 11-23-2017 08:45 AM

Quote:

Posted by GOAT (Post 801987)
Don't worry, John Oliver will save us again.

y they gotta block the videos for me :(