Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Chat (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Computer science or Computer engineering? (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40925)

Saeed 09-30-2018 01:31 PM

Computer science or Computer engineering?

Hello Graalains adults, I came here to ask for your advices, opinions and explanations.

This is my last year in college (in the UK college is from the age of 16 to 18, it's two years you have to do in-order to go University) and I'm currently applying to universities and trying to figure out what degree I would like to do. Since I studied ICT (Information computer technology) for two years in college, I would like to study something IT related in UNI. My grades last year were quite high and so are my predicted grades for this year inshallah. Which means I have the qualifications to study whatever IT-related degree I want.

My current four options i'm thinking of are: Computer science, computer engineering, cyber security or robotics. Most of you knows computer science and computer engineering. Cyber security is basically IT security your role is to defend against hackers and viruses. Robotics is a new degree that I really don't know much about but it's like creating actual bots and objects like that.

I decided not to study cyber security as a degree since I was told by many that 3 years (3 years is how many years you have to study to get your degree in the UK) are too much for cyber security. Studying cyber security in your master year is more than enough. (I'm planning to do master after my degree).

All of the people I asked never heard of robotics since it's very new but my teachers said it's the way forward now along the other 3 options I listed. So, I might avoid this subject till I find out wither there is jobs opportunities for if its too modern.

My actual plan now is to pick either computer science or computer engineering as a degree then study cyber security as my master year. Which one do you suggest more? which one has more job opportunities? Which one has higher job payments? and which one is more fun to study/work with. Also what's the main differences between these two?

Do you suggest another degree/master? Do you have some info about robotics? Please share ^_^

Pokki 09-30-2018 01:41 PM

u are on graal all day how do u have high grades

twilit 09-30-2018 06:54 PM

Pretty sure cyber security pays a lot. But it sounds boring af.

Areo 09-30-2018 11:15 PM

From my experiences doing CS it’s a very worthy major. I just hope you really like math.

To be honest from what I understand from my coworkers who are computer engineering majors is that you end up doing similiar work, just with perhaps a small shift in focus. While CE generally is supposed to be more hardware orientated it doesn’t seem like that really comes to fruition. As a major CS generally focuses on your core components (Theory, Languages, Architecture, security, etc.) whereas CE is more based on circuitry and other electrical issues. I would recommend CS over CE, but they’re both largely fine... though instead of CE I would be tempted to do electrical engineering instead. It is very similar and, from my experiences, has better applicability to a broader range of potential work than CE does. Not sure how the prospects between the majors are different, however.

Cyber security is really good, but it’s dull. You also will, very likely, spend quite a lot of time on call. Unless your doing implementation and research, than maybe not. Though I don’t feel fully comfortable speaking on it, since I had a much different focus.

Systems analysis is very useful, and is another major that you should look into, should that be a major at your university.

The Doctor 09-30-2018 11:58 PM

I am currently an undergrad pursuing Computer Engineering (with a minor of Math and Cyber Security) at VT. From my experience, choose whichever major interests you more.

I chose Computer Engineering because I am more interested in the interactions between hardware and software. Additionally, Computer Engineering gives you a head-start with fields such as Cyber Security, because security research requires a lot of lower-level software and hardware knowledge.

In my experience, classes you take in Computer Science teach you more about software design and algorithms, and not about low-level languages such as assembly which is required knowledge for those wishing to pursue cyber security.

Zetectic 10-01-2018 02:08 AM

If I were you, Computer Science. My Computer Engineering teacher had no idea what he was talking about. He also made calculations hard on purpose, but in reality assembly languages are simple. And Computer Science has a lot more advantages in general. It's growing big, moving fast, so you got to do a lot of catch ups, but if you studied algorithms well, I'm sure it wouldn't be a big problem.

fun sidetalk.. people I know from BDO(game) work in those fields, but they've got so much free time, they no life at video games..:dream job:

GOAT 10-01-2018 07:27 PM

The Bernie Sanders in me says do what you love

The Trump in me says do what pays more for less work

@TheDoctor
The word contains V ir g i n

Quote:

Posted by Zetectic (Post 819182)

fun sidetalk.. people I know from BDO(game) work in those fields, but they've got so much free time, they no life at video games..:dream job:

Lol
Do you go out much?

Motrox 10-01-2018 08:31 PM

I'm a math major, but I've taken a fair amount of CS courses. The CS major can diverge into diverse range of sub-categories: Graphics, AI, Security, Theoretical CS(very math heavy), Software Design, etc. I'd have a look at those sorts of specialties, and see if you're interest lie within one of them, and If that's the case, I'd suggest going through a CS degree, as it is far more general than a Computer Engineering major. This generality in pedagogy also allows you to fairly easily switch between specialties if one doesn't suite you too well.

DoubleliftGraal 10-02-2018 02:27 AM

If u got good ideas and are creative, go to engineering.

If not, computer science.

Honestly, its up to you and what you wanna pursue. Do u like making *** or are u just a CS Boy in general or idk. It's up to whatever interests you more in each field.

Zetectic 10-02-2018 04:45 AM

Quote:

Posted by GOAT (Post 819198)
Lol
Do you go out much?

Not sure what u want to say here.
But interestingly cs in real field rly works at home, skype meetings. They seem to have no set time, just need to do their jobs done.

Saeed 10-02-2018 03:31 PM

Quote:

Posted by Areo (Post 819175)
From my experiences doing CS it’s a very worthy major. I just hope you really like math.

To be honest from what I understand from my coworkers who are computer engineering majors is that you end up doing similiar work, just with perhaps a small shift in focus. While CE generally is supposed to be more hardware orientated it doesn’t seem like that really comes to fruition. As a major CS generally focuses on your core components (Theory, Languages, Architecture, security, etc.) whereas CE is more based on circuitry and other electrical issues. I would recommend CS over CE, but they’re both largely fine... though instead of CE I would be tempted to do electrical engineering instead. It is very similar and, from my experiences, has better applicability to a broader range of potential work than CE does. Not sure how the prospects between the majors are different, however.

Cyber security is really good, but it’s dull. You also will, very likely, spend quite a lot of time on call. Unless your doing implementation and research, than maybe not. Though I don’t feel fully comfortable speaking on it, since I had a much different focus.

Systems analysis is very useful, and is another major that you should look into, should that be a major at your university.

I do like math and used to be really good in it but I haven't studied it in a year. Which isn't really a big problem in my opinion since I always found it easy for me to learn math.
So from what I understood from you and my own researches, Computer science is more general and it's about how things work in the computer. Where Computer engineering is more about how the software can be created and to actually create the software for example. I was also told by people who studied computer science that it's a better option, at the same time I was also told some people that computer engineering is a better option and employers rather have an employee who studied computer engineering than computer science.

What I do enjoy is scripting, working with groups and finally something isn't boring. Which is the reason why I'm still considering picking another degree. I will look into system analysis and find out what it is.

Quote:

Posted by The Doctor (Post 819176)
I am currently an undergrad pursuing Computer Engineering (with a minor of Math and Cyber Security) at VT. From my experience, choose whichever major interests you more.

I chose Computer Engineering because I am more interested in the interactions between hardware and software. Additionally, Computer Engineering gives you a head-start with fields such as Cyber Security, because security research requires a lot of lower-level software and hardware knowledge.

In my experience, classes you take in Computer Science teach you more about software design and algorithms, and not about low-level languages such as assembly which is required knowledge for those wishing to pursue cyber security.

What are the differences between the kind of jobs you could get with a computer engineering degree and a computer science degree? I'm not quite sure what interests me more which is the reason I'm not sure what to pick.

Quote:

Posted by Motrox (Post 819200)
I'm a math major, but I've taken a fair amount of CS courses. The CS major can diverge into diverse range of sub-categories: Graphics, AI, Security, Theoretical CS(very math heavy), Software Design, etc. I'd have a look at those sorts of specialties, and see if you're interest lie within one of them, and If that's the case, I'd suggest going through a CS degree, as it is far more general than a Computer Engineering major. This generality in pedagogy also allows you to fairly easily switch between specialties if one doesn't suite you too well.

But is this really supposed to be an advantage or a disadvantage? For studying, it's probably more enjoyable and a bit easier. But for job opportunities does it make a big difference? Since computer engineering is more specific wouldn't some employers prefer it or i'm wrong?

GOAT 10-02-2018 04:48 PM

Quote:

Posted by Zetectic (Post 819221)
Not sure what u want to say here.
But interestingly cs in real field rly works at home, skype meetings. They seem to have no set time, just need to do their jobs done.

I just found it funny that a job that allowed you to no life games was a dream job. If I misunderstood I apologize.

Zetectic 10-02-2018 05:21 PM

Quote:

Posted by GOAT (Post 819239)
I just found it funny that a job that allowed you to no life games was a dream job. If I misunderstood I apologize.

was just implying that they have so much free time at home. idrk how much they code per day or any specifics, other than generals, but its pretty much a dream job.

The Doctor 10-02-2018 05:41 PM

Quote:

Posted by Saeed (Post 819233)
I do like math and used to be really good in it but I haven't studied it in a year. Which isn't really a big problem in my opinion since I always found it easy for me to learn math.
So from what I understood from you and my own researches, Computer science is more general and it's about how things work in the computer. Where Computer engineering is more about how the software can be created and to actually create the software for example. I was also told by people who studied computer science that it's a better option, at the same time I was also told some people that computer engineering is a better option and employers rather have an employee who studied computer engineering than computer science.

What I do enjoy is scripting, working with groups and finally something isn't boring. Which is the reason why I'm still considering picking another degree. I will look into system analysis and find out what it is.

What are the differences between the kind of jobs you could get with a computer engineering degree and a computer science degree? I'm not quite sure what interests me more which is the reason I'm not sure what to pick.

But is this really supposed to be an advantage or a disadvantage? For studying, it's probably more enjoyable and a bit easier. But for job opportunities does it make a big difference? Since computer engineering is more specific wouldn't some employers prefer it or i'm wrong?

With Computer Engineering, you would deal more with writing software for embedded devices, or driver software, or anything that deals with computer hardware.