Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technology (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Good Gaming Computer? (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12331)

Tyler 11-28-2012 04:23 PM

Good Gaming Computer?

So I've had it up to here with my laptop not being able to run games because it's obviously not meant for that. I recently tried using this program called Source Filmmaker, but it said my graphics card did not support it. I really need to get a gaming computer with a nice graphics card so I can run this stuff. Do you guys know any good, affordable computers that are meant for gaming and have a good graphics card?

Kiko 11-28-2012 04:25 PM

Alienware?

Blah64 11-28-2012 05:34 PM

You are better off buying the components you need and building it yourself. Far better computer for the price than anything pre-made.

Tyler 11-28-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Posted by Blah64 (Post 242888)
You are better off buying the components you need and building it yourself. Far better computer for the price than anything pre-made.

Unless you can convince me that anyone is capable of doing it and that it's affordable I think I'll stick to buying one.

Xavier 11-28-2012 05:52 PM

My brother built himself a gaming computer that can play pretty much anything at maximum graphics for only about $500. Not sure what parts he bought though.

Pimpsy G. 11-28-2012 06:11 PM

Wait for dusty he can help you

Dusty 11-28-2012 06:26 PM

Actually I'd recommend Crono O.o I go to Crono for hardware recommendations/help; though I'm quite capable of working with the hardware itself I don't keep up with what's the new/best stuff out there.

I'd say build your own PC as well, but I can understand not being comfortable doing so. Building a PC isn't that hard, components only hook up/install one way. You can sit and stare at all the various slots and such on a motherboard and be intimidated, but each wire and hardware only fits into the place it's intended to fit in. But the most important thing is being able to debug potential problems. Being able to realize what a problem is and trace it back to the cause or else you'll just be complicating matters for yourself.

If you don't want to go that route, the cheaper alternative I can think of is looking for special deals on desktops and then upgrading the PSU(power supply) and installing a graphics card. You can usually find cheap desktops which have decent hardware but they tend to be intended for casual use, but are capable if you upgrade the PSU and graphics. Crono might scold me for this though O.o

Most retail pre-build desktops aren't built with gaming in mind unless you specifically look for them, and then they overprice the hell out of them. And no, don't get Alienware. They're like the front-face of this sort of scam.

If you're curious, why not google/youtube on putting together a computer so you can familiarize yourself with the process and they'll probably also show you various common problems to look out for as well.

MementoJoker 11-28-2012 06:32 PM

Dusty saves the day.

HappyCat123 11-28-2012 07:23 PM

acer.com

Rexx 11-28-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Posted by HappyCat123 (Post 242964)

ew....if you're going to go with a Taiwan based company buy ASUS.

Tyler 11-28-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Posted by Dusty (Post 242923)
Actually I'd recommend Crono O.o I go to Crono for hardware recommendations/help; though I'm quite capable of working with the hardware itself I don't keep up with what's the new/best stuff out there.

I'd say build your own PC as well, but I can understand not being comfortable doing so. Building a PC isn't that hard, components only hook up/install one way. You can sit and stare at all the various slots and such on a motherboard and be intimidated, but each wire and hardware only fits into the place it's intended to fit in. But the most important thing is being able to debug potential problems. Being able to realize what a problem is and trace it back to the cause or else you'll just be complicating matters for yourself.

If you don't want to go that route, the cheaper alternative I can think of is looking for special deals on desktops and then upgrading the PSU(power supply) and installing a graphics card. You can usually find cheap desktops which have decent hardware but they tend to be intended for casual use, but are capable if you upgrade the PSU and graphics. Crono might scold me for this though O.o

Most retail pre-build desktops aren't built with gaming in mind unless you specifically look for them, and then they overprice the hell out of them. And no, don't get Alienware. They're like the front-face of this sort of scam.

If you're curious, why not google/youtube on putting together a computer so you can familiarize yourself with the process and they'll probably also show you various common problems to look out for as well.

Sounds good to me. I'm always a little worried about specifically me building something because I might screw it up. It would be pretty cool to do though. I think I actually will do some researching on how difficult it is. Thanks for the advice.

Quote:

Posted by HappyCat123 (Post 242964)

I'm actually using an Acer laptop right now. It's good for running certain games, but unfortunately not the best for Team Fortress and Slender and such.