Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Chat (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Santa fe High school shooting (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40473)

Nglyeh 05-18-2018 06:09 PM

Santa Fe High School Shooting

There was another school shooting today...

It's really upsetting that these things are so common nowadays.
Students and Teachers probably live in fear of it happening at their school.
Everyone has their own idea on how to stop this from happening, and not everyone is agreeing.

You have to look at this from all angles. all the what ifs.

Do we ban guns, Do we keep them, What do we do
I mean criminals don't exactly follow the law so even if guns are banned, they'll get one anyway even though it'd be illegal, while law abiding people won't
Besides people can and do use other things to harm people.

This is a serious matter no jokes.

Pokki 05-18-2018 06:38 PM

Please capitalize the “Fe” in the title it has my perfectionism going wack

McCullough 05-18-2018 06:51 PM

We don't yet know the story of who the person was who shot up Santa Fe, how he got the weapon, and why he did it.

Banning guns isn't the answer, there are better options. People just don't want to put the time in for other options besides banning guns. If guns were banned not only would that be a change in the consitition, but we'd only see criminals with them.

The Doctor 05-18-2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

Posted by McCullough (Post 812149)
We don't yet know the story of who the person was who shot up Santa Fe, how he got the weapon, and why he did it.

Banning guns isn't the answer, there are better options. People just don't want to put the time in for other options besides banning guns. If guns were banned not only would that be a change in the consitition, but we'd only see criminals with them.

I think most reasonable people think that banning guns is NOT the right answer. I think many people may instead support banning military-grade assault rifles, or heavily regulating them. Do you think it’s reasonable to get an AR-15 in less than a day?

Sawyer 05-18-2018 07:19 PM

Quote:

Posted by The Doctor (Post 812150)
I think most reasonable people think that banning guns is NOT the right answer. I think many people may instead support banning military-grade assault rifles, or heavily regulating them. Do you think it’s reasonable to get an AR-15 in less than a day?

Raising age limit from 18 to 21 makes a lot of sense in my opinion. You can have an AR by 18 but a handgun at 21. I see the reason why because you can conceal carry a handgun but there should be some universal standard for gun ownership. But on the other flip of the coin is that guys get drafted at 18 so why the hell could they not own a gun. I don't really know how easy it is to buy an AR though. Can you really get through the background checks in one day?

Perseus 05-18-2018 07:31 PM

The problem I have is how uneducated all the "Ban assault weapons" advocates are. They insist upon banning "AR-15s and all assault weapons" when in reality, its an overglorified hunting rifle with a pistol grip and an adjustable stock. I literally have a Ruger .22LR that is the exact same as a commercial AR-15.

Not to mention, there are firearms on the market that are ten times worse than an AR-15.
I honestly can't imagine what they will say when someone devastates a venue with a semi-automatic shotgun, and if they so choose to use buckshot or some other type of scatter, the farther people run away, the more people would get hit with one triggerpull.

Ximithie 05-18-2018 07:55 PM

Most of the young school shooters shoot up a school because they have been bullied grew up living a bad life having to go through hard times but like you guys said we don't know who the shooter is yet.

McCullough 05-18-2018 08:10 PM

News states that the suspect is 17, so he could not have bought an assault rifle himself, and we do not yet know what weapon was even used. I'm assuming the suspect had something quite crazy because he wounded ten and killed ten. Perhaps he only had a simple pistol, and the suspect is IN custody so he must have run out of ammo. We'll find out more tonight.

Crono 05-18-2018 08:24 PM

Cleaning up the abundance of weapons in circulation is clearly not the answer. Should continue to pump deadly weapons into the already large pool to make things better.

Ximithie 05-18-2018 08:37 PM

Quote:

Posted by McCullough (Post 812157)
News states that the suspect is 17, so he could not have bought an assault rifle himself, and we do not yet know what weapon was even used. I'm assuming the suspect had something quite crazy because he wounded ten and killed ten. Perhaps he only had a simple pistol, and the suspect is IN custody so he must have run out of ammo. We'll find out more tonight.

Prob stole the gun from some where.

I heard bump stocks are getting banned maybe dunno how that will help when there are other accessories that make an AR shoot faster forgot what it was called.

Rusix 05-18-2018 08:45 PM

From what I heard (If this is the shooting in Texas...kinda sad I got verify it) the kid apparently came in with a shot gun and they later found out he put explosives around the school on and off the perimeter of the school ground. It's really sad honestly.

Honestly, I feel it is not the guns that need banned. It's school security and security in other areas. You can tell with all of these school shootings and shootings in general. They are all planned out. They are all things that took time to think of. If someone SERIOUSLY and truly wishes to kill a crap ton of people in a school. Guns or not they will probably find a way to do it. There is literally things like bombs which are extremely easy to make I've made some fairly powerful ones myself using nothing but stuff in my kitchen for fun. There is still also things like poison fumes that don't give off much of a smell and dozens upon dozens of things people could do.

Personally I feel we should be more targeted on improving school security and also doing things like stopping guns from getting into the hands of people and ensuring peoples safety.

Thallen 05-18-2018 09:59 PM

Not gonna bother reading this thread, but I'll drop in with an FYI to let you know that anyone before or after this reply insisting on "common-sense gun reform" should be ignored because they're a broken record that clearly didn't take five minutes to read about the incident:
  • He was 17 and can't legally own a gun
  • Even if he were of legal age, sawed-off shotguns are not legal
  • IEDs and pipe bombs are not legal
  • Killing people is not legal
You have fun dyeing your hair blue and protesting for stricter laws against abiding citizens though

Ximithie 05-18-2018 10:18 PM

Like many people have suggested before if we put a few cops in each school that would help out a lot.

Pokki 05-18-2018 10:23 PM

Quote:

Posted by Crono (Post 812159)
Cleaning up the abundance of weapons in circulation is clearly not the answer. Should continue to pump deadly weapons into the already large pool to make things better.

How to make a problem worse 101

5hift 05-18-2018 10:26 PM

Quote:

Posted by Ximithie (Post 812172)
Like many people have suggested before if we put a few cops in each school that would help out a lot.

It would help but it shouldn't be the solution...

Why do schools of all places need to be guarded like banks and airports? You realize schools aren't exclusively targeted by people who want to go on murder rampages right? The could just as easily attack other public areas like supermarkets or malls. Does that mean we should just station a squad of officers at every place that seems likely to be attacked? **** no. You're wasting resources on the worst case scenario when you could be actively trying to prevent these attacks from happening.

The fact that this is being considered shows that gun control is fundamentally flawed in this country. Gun control isn't just about the immediate transaction between the person buying and selling the firearm, its also what happens afterwards. That gun can easily end up in someone else's hands without any official transaction being made.

Stop getting tunnel-visioned with singular aspects of the problem. Its obvious that there's a lot more to buying and owning a gun. There is no single solution to the issue.