Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   Entertainment (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Wonder Woman [POTENTIAL SPOILERS] (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39171)

5hift 06-07-2017 03:10 AM

Wonder Woman [POTENTIAL SPOILERS]

What did you guys think of the new Wonder Woman movie?

For once I actually thought it was a pretty good DC movie but the ending was kind of stupid (I mean this is DC we're talking about so what did I expect.)

Overall I would recommend this film if you guys are into superhero movies.

I really enjoyed the writing as the conversations actually sounded pretty reasonable. Very casual and not super forced to the point where its cringy.

Again, the ending was pretty lame. Spoilers inbound.

Spoiler
I hate how they went with this dumb "Love wins" crap. They had the opportunity to go into some real insightful dialogue about human nature like in The World's End but instead they went with this super cheesy Disney-film level garbage as if everyone watching this movie is ****ing 5 years old. It just feels so out of place in a gritty movie where the horrors of war are put on display.

Also not a huge fan of how the developed the supporting characters like the Scottish sniper guy with PTSD. Literally, all they ever say about him is that he has PTSD (obviously) and he somehow magically becomes better after one battle.

MrSimons 06-11-2017 07:30 PM

I thought it was the best DC movie I have seen in a while, and tbh it was better than a few Marvel movies that I liked. They managed to make Wonder Woman an absolute badass without having some ridiculous overarching feminist theme. Really though, they were amazing with the whole Wonder Woman rollin through ****ing stuff up. I didn't think the ending was bad though?

Spoiler
Are you talking about some of the cringy stuff WW says at the end about love? I've managed to just tune that crap out and not let it ruin great movies for me (same thing happened in Interstellar). Overall I thought it was a good ending, killing Capt Trevor managed to save us from any ridiculous romance plot, and it lead to that gnarly rampage

The movie got me pretty excited for Justice League tbh, Gal Gadot is an awesome Wonder Woman and I actually like Ben Affleck Batman more than Christian Bale. Plus the trailer I saw was pretty legit. I've always liked the DC universe more than Marvel, so I'm really glad that it looks like they are done making crappy movies.

KristenGW 06-11-2017 11:40 PM

I honestly really enjoyed the movie (saw it a couple days ago). Something I noticed is that they made it very comic book- like. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just that since they used slow motion a lot for her fighting scenes it almost seemed over the top. The only other thing, besides the ending as said, that bothered me was the way she held her arms sometimes. That sounds rude but it seemed a little forced, with them way back so that her chest was more forward. Made me feel awkward watching it.

Overall I really liked it, and it nicely sets up JL. Was also nice to see how they changed it from the animated version - I liked the small changes and additions they made.

MattKan 06-11-2017 11:51 PM

Loved it

Vic 06-11-2017 11:57 PM

I thought it was one of the best DC movies I've seen, would reccommend!
Spoiler
hated the ending and how ****ing stupid ares looked and the jumping cgi was off

Edit: my stoner friend alain's review:
Spoiler
Alain's wonder women review
The movie started out amazing, I loved how they showed Diana wanting to be strong and then become strong. I didn't like the exposition by story bull**** that they pulled tho it's been used a million times. The scene where the first German soldier stuck his head through the mist a couple times was very well shot in my opinion and the fight seen on the beach was pretty entertaining to watch. The cgi was kinda cringe but I can appreciate the fact that they put their own style on it instead of just copy and pasting. As Mike pointed out the Germans speaking English was stupid af because they were alone in German high command yet for some reason speaking to each other in English. I loved the scene where Diana first discovered her power and started climbing the wall, again, very well shot. But as the movie went on they started leaning to the super hero movie checklist and added a love interest, I think it would have been amazing if Steve and Diana never actually kissed or ****ed, but they had to tie in love cause ~checklist~ I really liked when Charlie couldn't take the shot at the sniper tower I think it really made him more real to the audience. The scene where Diana was talking to Ares and holding the tank over that other lady was ****ed, she should have smashed that other lady with the tank and then fought Ares but instead she didn't crush her just because she didn't want to do what Ares was now telling her to do. The scene where Steve died saving everyone else was too cheesy ~ checklist(heroic death of main character) and come to think of it I hate the way they killed off Diana's aunt because once again it was filling the ~ checklist ~

I honestly wanted this movie to be amazing just because there aren't any superhero with female leads that I've seen before and my super high expectations may be adding to the low score of this review but all in all I'm giving it a 5/10
The first 33% of the movie was at least an 8/10 tho I really enjoyed most of the beginning

monstro 06-12-2017 01:42 AM

I really liked it, obviously. They made Wonder Woman a real comeback after that meh movie BvS. They showed much action at the Amazon and the same at the real world which made it looked badass.

5hift 06-12-2017 01:42 AM

Quote:

Posted by MrSimons (Post 786492)
Spoiler
Are you talking about some of the cringy stuff WW says at the end about love? I've managed to just tune that crap out and not let it ruin great movies for me (same thing happened in Interstellar). Overall I thought it was a good ending, killing Capt Trevor managed to save us from any ridiculous romance plot, and it lead to that gnarly rampage

Spoiler
Yeah thats it. Really could've gone with something a little more thought provoking instead of this super cliche crap.

TomatoPanda 06-12-2017 03:22 AM

I cant complain it was worth the $11.

The DC movie im hyped most about rn has to be cyborg i really wanna see how their gonna portray his character.

Colin 06-12-2017 08:27 PM

Spoiler
I don't see any issues with the 'love' theme and it isn't cliche at all with the premise of the movie

She's thrown into the world of man kind during one of the worse wars in history and is only ever shown how horrible people can be and how bad the world is and at some point even gave up fighting for them because of it.

When she sees Steve and his men continue to risk their lives after she says she is done fighting, and Steve shows her the love and compassion that exists in the world, it's a reason for her (someone with near no knowledge about humans) to continue fighting despite the world having wickedness in it which is exactly how the real world works, love and compassion triumphs over evil.

fUnK 06-12-2017 10:46 PM

Quote:

Posted by Colin (Post 786589)
Spoiler
I don't see any issues with the 'love' theme and it isn't cliche at all with the premise of the movie

She's thrown into the world of man kind during one of the worse wars in history and is only ever shown how horrible people can be and how bad the world is and at some point even gave up fighting for them because of it.

When she sees Steve and his men continue to risk their lives after she says she is done fighting, and Steve shows her the love and compassion that exists in the world, it's a reason for her (someone with near no knowledge about humans) to continue fighting despite the world having wickedness in it which is exactly how the real world works, love and compassion triumphs over evil.

SPOILER (I don't know how to do the "hide spoiler" thing)

It was a bad idea to have a concrete answer to the problems of the movie. They should have left it with "men have both good and bad in their hearts, it's for them to decide". That was ****ing perfect. Then she says... but I know now that love trumps all. Wait what? Lmao. It honestly wasn't necessary at all but whatever, I kind of think of it as her way of coping with mankinds flaws rather than an answer to evil in general.

MrSimons 06-13-2017 03:47 AM

Quote:

Posted by Colin (Post 786589)
Spoiler

Spoiler
The theme of love isn't what bothers me, its that narration at the end from Diane where she is talking about love. Honestly would have been a much better ending without that bit; felt just like this.

Quote:

Posted by Vic (Post 786511)
Edit: my stoner friend alain's review:
Spoiler
Alain's wonder women review
The movie started out amazing, I loved how they showed Diana wanting to be strong and then become strong. I didn't like the exposition by story bull**** that they pulled tho it's been used a million times. The scene where the first German soldier stuck his head through the mist a couple times was very well shot in my opinion and the fight seen on the beach was pretty entertaining to watch. The cgi was kinda cringe but I can appreciate the fact that they put their own style on it instead of just copy and pasting. As Mike pointed out the Germans speaking English was stupid af because they were alone in German high command yet for some reason speaking to each other in English. I loved the scene where Diana first discovered her power and started climbing the wall, again, very well shot. But as the movie went on they started leaning to the super hero movie checklist and added a love interest, I think it would have been amazing if Steve and Diana never actually kissed or ****ed, but they had to tie in love cause ~checklist~ I really liked when Charlie couldn't take the shot at the sniper tower I think it really made him more real to the audience. The scene where Diana was talking to Ares and holding the tank over that other lady was ****ed, she should have smashed that other lady with the tank and then fought Ares but instead she didn't crush her just because she didn't want to do what Ares was now telling her to do. The scene where Steve died saving everyone else was too cheesy ~ checklist(heroic death of main character) and come to think of it I hate the way they killed off Diana's aunt because once again it was filling the ~ checklist ~

Spoiler
For the Germans speaking English I imagine that goes with being able to market the movie to a younger audience who is gonna get confused reading subtitles. As for not killing the German scientist I totally agree, that woman was a ****ing psychopath, if the movie was based during WWII it wouldn't go over nearly as well for her to let some Nazi just run off.