Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Chat (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What is your college major & when will you be graduating? (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37236)

iChronic 11-02-2016 09:06 AM

What is your college major & when will you be graduating?

Not sure if there's already been a thread on this, but I'm just interested in what y'all learning at college and how you're finding the course/degree so far.

Feel free to talk about other things too, like what makes your of degree enjoying/fun for you. I'm hoping to hear interesting things :)

I'm studying accounting and finance. I'm on my last year of accounting and second year of actuarial science. I'm hoping to finish both majors by the end of next year. I really enjoy both of my degrees. Accounting is really easy, but actuarial science is kinda hard. We do quite a few presentations per semester for both, so its kinda fun. I really like presentations. I know some people hate doing them, but most ACCY/FINA stuff has become a 6th sense to me, so I can pretty much BS my way through a presentation without even preparing. You literally just have to walk people through financial statements and stuff, which is as easy as reading from the powerpoint slides. Ironically, this can also be the most difficult thing to do if you have to go through multiple financial statements. I've found myself in that situation quite a few times, but its a good thing that most things add up when I do it the "accounting" way. My major compliments each other so they pretty much help me in both fields

hosler 11-02-2016 12:36 PM

I thought the rule was to never recite whats already written on your slides because people already know how to read

Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk

iChronic 11-02-2016 12:55 PM

Quote:

Posted by hosler (Post 740120)
I thought the rule was to never recite whats already written on your slides because people already know how to read

Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk

yup, that's right. but u can't really explain anything in accounting without referring to any of the financial statements, so we usually point to the financial statements in slides often. our interpretations are whats mostly done on the spot, but we rely heavily on 1-8 financial statements that we've prepared beforehand. its just basically preparing one set of relative data and interpreting it all in class. u can't really prepare and recite for a presentation because they ask you to prepare the statements but dont actually give the questions until the day of the presentation. but thats happened only happened like six times so far.

Sardon 11-02-2016 02:06 PM

Currently studying at Trump University learning how to engineer a wall to span the mexican U.S border.

Colin 11-02-2016 03:56 PM

Where do you live?

You're 17, college for you must be different than college for us, we start at around 17/18

I think you live in NZ, your system is much different I believe

Anyway, I like physics and biology/botany, I had to take a year off to raise a baby so I started taking IT courses online from a college near me but probably not going to pursue it any further, I'm probably going to start with Bioinformatics then branch into Botany, education in Canada is going to be much much cheaper in 2017 though so it's good that I waited because I won't end up having to pay around $40,000

John 11-02-2016 04:07 PM

Studying Computer Technology looking to become a computer technician. Move to the UK, or Australia and open up my own shop. I'm tired of living in the U.S.

Bryan* 11-02-2016 04:23 PM

Major: Criminal Justice
Minor: Psychology

Always loved being in law enforcement and being in the field preventing crimes and helping my community. After college I'll be joining the NYPD and their Police Academy for 6 months then hopefully be ready as a rookie cop. Eventually through the years will try to look for promotions especially as a detective

iChronic 11-02-2016 05:45 PM

Quote:

Posted by Sardon (Post 740128)
Currently studying at Trump University learning how to engineer a wall to span the mexican U.S border.

LOL

Quote:

Posted by Colin (Post 740142)
Where do you live?

You're 17, college for you must be different than college for us, we start at around 17/18

I think you live in NZ, your system is much different I believe

Anyway, I like physics and biology/botany, I had to take a year off to raise a baby so I started taking IT courses online from a college near me but probably not going to pursue it any further, I'm probably going to start with Bioinformatics then branch into Botany, education in Canada is going to be much much cheaper in 2017 though so it's good that I waited because I won't end up having to pay around $40,000

nah, i moved fammmmm.

anyway, i think it's the same. man. don't really know what u mean by that :P

i was gonna start off with online courses for computing and stuff (cos that what im really interested in), but then the online school thing never replied to me, so i just ended up going college anyways. thats a good point with loans and stuff, man. am currently burried in like a 20k debt bcos of school and stuff lol

Quote:

Posted by John (Post 740143)
Studying Computer Technology looking to become a computer technician. Move to the UK, or Australia and open up my own shop. I'm tired of living in the U.S.

man, thats really interesting. its good you've already thought about opening a business.

Quote:

Posted by Bryan* (Post 740148)

Always loved being in law enforcement and being in the field preventing crimes and helping my community. After college I'll be joining the NYPD and their Police Academy for 6 months then hopefully be ready as a rookie cop. Eventually through the years will try to look for promotions especially as a detective

man, crim justice is a really interesting field, sadly my college doesnt offe it though. i rlly wanted to minior in psch though.

twilit 11-02-2016 06:13 PM

Accounting and Finance double. Graduating in the spring, but no clue what Im going to do. Public accounting (auditing/tax service) is kinda shoved in your face because job security and high pay; but I really dont want to do the CPA exam. I'd much rather do corporate accounting; but the job market in my state isnt doing so well. So ill probably try to find a job doing bookkeeping or find something to do at a bank.

PigParty 11-02-2016 08:26 PM

Quote:

Posted by Bryan* (Post 740148)

I was wanting to minor in psychology but my college only has a major for that... Anyways, I took a psych class this year to see if I wanted to double-major and I ended up not liking psychology, so no big deal.

I'm majoring in Criminal Justice. I'm also considering double-majoring in Political Science. Took an intro class, liked it, so I'm going to take more and see.

Macbeth 11-02-2016 08:45 PM

My major is in Secondary Education with a focus in Social Studies.
My minors are in Theology and Cultural Studies.
I will be doing student teaching in the next year. So, graalians, beware, you may have Mr. Macbeth as your teacher if you live in the United States :D

Bryan* 11-02-2016 11:06 PM

I had a different major before, forgot to mention that. It was Computer Information Systems (CIS) and the reason I changed to Criminal Justice (CRJ) is because there are so many individuals and groups that commit violent crimes and I want to be apart of the law enforcement that prevents it from happening. Love being in the field and love understanding why certain people do certain things.

CIS wasn't bad. The salary isn't bad either with that degree. But I rather be outside saving lives than stuck in an office all day.

Macbeth 11-03-2016 01:59 AM

Quote:

Posted by Bryan* (Post 740257)

CIS wasn't bad. The salary isn't bad either with that degree. But I rather be outside saving lives than stuck in an office all day.

Rip. After college. Starting wage will be like 35k. Guess I could just live in an apartment or something.

The Doctor 11-03-2016 02:09 AM

I currently do not have a college education, but I do have an internship with a company's IT department. I am applying to ******ia Tech, UVA, UMD, and others. Early decision deadline already passed, so I guess I'll apply regular. I will major in computer engineering and potentially minor in journalism, and maybe go to grad school if my job can support it!

Fulgore 11-03-2016 02:37 AM

Economics major, will be completing undergraduate at UNC in 2019. Not sure whether or not I'll do graduate school somewhere or enter the workforce after that.

Was a biology major before when I wanted to go to med school, but I decided dedicating another decade of my life to more studies wasn't for me, even if it is quite lucrative later.