Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Graal Discussion (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   For all graal servers, ifile solutions? (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40491)

Rusix 05-26-2018 07:12 AM

For all graal servers, ifile solutions?

I don't know if there is a thread like this, But i made this thread to discuss the issue of ifiling.

I find it surprising classic hasn't already done something about this, especially since people can use ifiling to file swap and do a lot of things. Era apparently has a system going where if you go into the files it will ban you. But I'm curious what other methods people think are good solutions to fixing this. Personally I think players shouldn't be allowed to have the method of having the heads and ect saved to their devices directly and it should be stored server side, or that only your uploads and bodies you have are stored there and not everyone elses. Given that there is really no reason for you to personally go into the files unless you plan to ifile.

Crono 05-26-2018 08:52 AM

It's a non-issue in my opinion. Graal graphics were always public and people always edited them.

Jarace 05-26-2018 08:55 AM

What do you mean by "file swap"? If you are referring to swapping out a hat file with, say, a different hat file - it would be completely pointless. That sort of thing only shows up on the client's side, so nobody else would know.

Forcing players to download the files temporarily every time they logged in would be a dreadful idea - I'd pity anyone with a data cap.

I've only ever heard you talk about Era protecting their files. I'm not confident that this exists the way you say it does, but maybe Era staff can shed some light on the subject. As far as I know, all the Graal apps have some sort of auto-ban triggered when you edit certain files. Could this be what you are referring to?

One last question for you - what issues do you think preventing file access will actually solve? It might make it more difficult to steal customs, but even if the files are downloaded temporarily I'm sure there would be a way to obtain them.

Raeven 05-26-2018 09:13 AM

never got banned when i tried to access files or even copy someone else's upload in era or the game files itself , so idk what you mean lol

Saeed 05-26-2018 09:21 AM

I don’t really know much about ifiling and how it works etc. But I do know that it’s frustrating for the original creator of the head/body. The moment you wear a nice head, body or shield everybody then Ifiles it.
As I said I really have no clue how this works nor created any graphics files in the past. However, this is what I personally suggest: When you ask an admin to refund someone’s head because you’re the original creator and don’t know want anyone else to use it, admins refuse to refund it for whatever reason. Is it because there is no proof on who is the original creator? Why don’t you guys have a system that saves the first uploader of the head as the original creator. So, if this original uploader found someone else who ifiled his head and has it on, he can just report him and get hishead refunded. After the admins doubled check who is the original creator using that system.

I just find it un-acceptable for admins to not get involved when it comes to players ifiling heads. Unless if there is a valid reason apart from the possible one I said above.

4-Lom 05-26-2018 10:24 AM

Upload tokens fix this issue.

Rusix 05-26-2018 05:12 PM

Quote:

Posted by Jarace (Post 812526)
What do you mean by "file swap"? If you are referring to swapping out a hat file with, say, a different hat file - it would be completely pointless. That sort of thing only shows up on the client's side, so nobody else would know.

Forcing players to download the files temporarily every time they logged in would be a dreadful idea - I'd pity anyone with a data cap.

I've only ever heard you talk about Era protecting their files. I'm not confident that this exists the way you say it does, but maybe Era staff can shed some light on the subject. As far as I know, all the Graal apps have some sort of auto-ban triggered when you edit certain files. Could this be what you are referring to?

One last question for you - what issues do you think preventing file access will actually solve? It might make it more difficult to steal customs, but even if the files are downloaded temporarily I'm sure there would be a way to obtain them.

Yes that's what I mean by file swap lol, And it honestly just makes it possible to get uploads of othere. I say this mainly because I seen this system used in a very harsh and harassing way. This one guy in inner school a few months back swapped the files from this girl to one I presume he made where she appeared i guess naked on his screen. And used it as a laughing matter among friends, As well as it can swap things out from other objects in graal. some of which seem to effect the game or benefit them.

I also don't think the data issue is really much of a concern. Mainly because one heads and bodies aren't really that big of a file to download. They are typically under 30kb usually and sometimes are infact 1 or 2 kb in size for most heads. Unless you downloaded every single head that exist in graal, I don't think there would be much of a difference. I mean in a months time you may get to 50-70 MB used in your data. Maybe more but i don't see such thing being an issue or data being very high, Especially since most people seem to play at the comfort of their own home using Wifi. If you're playing graal all day on cellular data, you probably would have unlimited data.

Personally think that preventing file access would make it impossible to get the files or at least make it far more difficult to get these files. And possibly other content which can benefit them or give them an advantage in certain ways. Like Saeed said, People get frustrated when people spend hours to create customs and can't be assured that what they made can't be stolen. If you don't check the box in your profile that allows you to download files from the game. It won't save to your device, which means you can't really ifile what isn't saved, I'm not aware of how you could possibly get around that. Or force graal to save files

Perseus 05-26-2018 06:11 PM

Quote:

Posted by Rusix (Post 812538)
Yes that's what I mean by file swap lol, And it honestly just makes it possible to get uploads of othere. I say this mainly because I seen this system used in a very harsh and harassing way. This one guy in inner school a few months back swapped the files from this girl to one I presume he made where she appeared i guess naked on his screen. And used it as a laughing matter among friends, As well as it can swap things out from other objects in graal. some of which seem to effect the game or benefit them.

I also don't think the data issue is really much of a concern. Mainly because one heads and bodies aren't really that big of a file to download. They are typically under 30kb usually and sometimes are infact 1 or 2 kb in size for most heads. Unless you downloaded every single head that exist in graal, I don't think there would be much of a difference. I mean in a months time you may get to 50-70 MB used in your data. Maybe more but i don't see such thing being an issue or data being very high, Especially since most people seem to play at the comfort of their own home using Wifi. If you're playing graal all day on cellular data, you probably would have unlimited data.

Personally think that preventing file access would make it impossible to get the files or at least make it far more difficult to get these files. And possibly other content which can benefit them or give them an advantage in certain ways. Like Saeed said, People get frustrated when people spend hours to create customs and can't be assured that what they made can't be stolen. If you don't check the box in your profile that allows you to download files from the game. It won't save to your device, which means you can't really ifile what isn't saved, I'm not aware of how you could possibly get around that. Or force graal to save files

Have you ever left cache files on, and in 15 minutes graal is hogging 500 Mb's of storage? Data crap.

Not to mention, it's not even really necessary. Like, hell. Your **** got swiped and its not personal anymore, sorry but there are bigger problems to be dealt with.

Rusix 05-26-2018 08:24 PM

Quote:

Posted by Perseus (Post 812543)
Have you ever left cache files on, and in 15 minutes graal is hogging 500 Mb's of storage? Data crap.

Not to mention, it's not even really necessary. Like, hell. Your **** got swiped and its not personal anymore, sorry but there are bigger problems to be dealt with.

I think you're a overexaggeting the data issue, I used to play on mobile data a lot on graal, About 4 hours daily after work throughout the month, Graal usually only took 230 mb sometimes close or over 300 mb but that was rarely, and I was on a 2gb a month plan. I have no idea how you're coming to 500 MB in 15 minutes. It doesn't seem really realistic at all, I've been the actual person who played graal a lot on data so I do personally know lol. Unless you purposely try to do things to cost more data it shouldn't. Graal files are extremely small. You'll likely cause more data usage searching on the web all day on images.

Regardless of how big the issue is, It is still an issue. You don't ignore an issue just because it apparently is small (Which personally I think it's a big issue since like I stated such thing can allow you to file swap to harass people like I stated above with the girl, Steal others hard work which is extremely common and more of that isn't a big issue I really don't know how you come to that conclusion). Regardless It still needs fixed, And there is plenty of ways to fix such an issue. Saying it's a small issue and shouldn't be fixed would also be extremely hypocritical of graal because graal is even willing to fix small issues like when you log off and log back into a off map area, Even if you can't do anything there.

Perseus 05-27-2018 01:14 AM

I could write a nice big paragraph explaining how petty this thread is, but I'm not going to, so I'll say it again: There are bigger issues that need be fixed.

Rusix 05-27-2018 01:55 AM

Quote:

Posted by Perseus (Post 812569)
I could write a nice big paragraph explaining how petty this thread is, but I'm not going to, so I'll say it again: There are bigger issues that need be fixed.

Mind naming a few? Because they must be important if it is willing to kill peoples creativity and willingness to do GFX and may even possibly contribute to some people who could very well become great GFX admins to never sign up or gain experience to do so, don't tell me that you wouldn't be mad that it someone stole something you worked for over 200 hours on and claimed they made it and they own it?

Perseus 05-27-2018 03:36 AM

Quote:

Posted by Rusix (Post 812574)
Mind naming a few? Because they must be important if it is willing to kill peoples creativity and willingness to do GFX and may even possibly contribute to some people who could very well become great GFX admins to never sign up or gain experience to do so, don't tell me that you wouldn't be mad that it someone stole something you worked for over 200 hours on and claimed they made it and they own it?

Well, the fact that I can click on the bridge below castle and buy Jack O'Lanterns is one thing. Railroads, NGS (or lack thereof). And then, I would rather them add to the potential quests we currently have, than something I have worked on for 200 (Talk about exaggeration, I'll kiss your ass.) hours getting lifted. Theres this thing; It's called priorities. People have them when their games are broken to the point of being unplayable.
Actually, nevermind. Let's make an anti-ifiling system so Rusix's "Aurion" shields stop getting stolen.

And TBH, you'd have to be pretty greasy to get so triggered you stop doing pixel art just because someone stole two-hundred hours of work.

Rusix 05-27-2018 04:06 AM

Quote:

Posted by Perseus (Post 812577)
Well, the fact that I can click on the bridge below castle and buy Jack O'Lanterns is one thing. Railroads, NGS (or lack thereof). And then, I would rather them add to the potential quests we currently have, than something I have worked on for 200 (Talk about exaggeration, I'll kiss your ass.) hours getting lifted. Theres this thing; It's called priorities. People have them when their games are broken to the point of being unplayable.
Actually, nevermind. Let's make an anti-ifiling system so Rusix's "Aurion" shields stop getting stolen.

And TBH, you'd have to be pretty greasy to get so triggered you stop doing pixel art just because someone stole two-hundred hours of work.

I don't even have shields, ( I don't think anyway unless I forgot them). Plus anything I make is public. Anyone can have it i couldn't care less about 90% of anything I make anyway is for other people, Anyone who ifiles me can keep their stuff. As much as it may surprise you I'm not suggesting anti ifiling for my own benefit but for benefit of others. A lot of the things you said aren't really more serious, nor have they been issues as long. I don't see how you come to the conclusion these are more serious issues. Ifiling kills creativity, Killing creativity ruins gameplay and thus without any creativity and enjoyment it wouldn't matter how playable the game is no one would want to play it. It would be like cloning old games exactly the same. No creativity. After a while nobody really wants to play it. Same goes for GFX, More it gets stolen the less people want to do GFX if they know it will all be a waste.

Also no, 200 hours worth of GFX isnt exaggerating at all. People like Poochy has made WELL over 200 hours worth of GFX material. While most are public yes but there is people just like her that make many uploads. Going over 200 hours actually isn't that hard to do over time. Most people even can hit over 200 hours of work over several pieces of GFX or even singular pieces through constant improvement, changes, Ect.

Macbeth 05-27-2018 07:17 AM

Rusix, the only reason he’s getting triggered by your statements is because he is an ifiler. Yes, there are some very important things in this game.
Heck, I even got into trouble a few years back for ifiling and editing heads. But because of my stupidity I buckled down and started practicing my own graphics. The lack of stealing or being able to steal would inhibit laziness and encourage creativity.

Vladamir Blackthorne 05-27-2018 08:26 AM

Nothing can be done, it's how graal works. It downloads all the files it displays and they can't be encrypted or hidden or anything. The way the server communicates with the client would have to be changed completely.