Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   GraalOnline Ol' West (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Harvesting Update (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40661)

Symmasolan 07-03-2018 09:10 PM

Harvesting Update

Starting today, how you gather minerals and wood from Mining and Woodcutting is changing.
We're naming it the Harvesting Update, and it looks something like this!
https://i.imgur.com/MNSDEEu.gif

The way this works is that where you would previously just harvest away by mashing the attack button, instead a small bar with a pointer will come up above your player.
When you swing again, you will hit the tree with the power the pointer is at. The closer your pointer is to the yellow area (the smash zone), the more damage you will deal. If you hit the smash zone, you will gain x1 combo, up to a max of x5, and deal bonus damage based on whatever tool you are using. Higher combo will add more damage to your swing, even if you miss the smash zone!
If you reach x5 combo, the next swing you make will always break the rock or tree that you are harvesting, even if you miss the smash zone.
The minor benefit of breaking the rock or tree with a full combo is that it saves the life of your tool! The fewer swings you take, the more swings you have to harvest later!

Theoretically if a player gets very good at their timing, they can harvest rocks and trees much faster than they ever could before.

If you would like to suggest any changes, I'd suggest that you use our Feedback system in-game. Every ticket submitted gets sent to me in Discord, so I'll read them all even if I'm not online. Even the nasty ones <3

We hope you enjoy the update. Please refrain from harassing any staff because of this update. The original system was written by Orange, and was finished up and applied across the board by me in the last week or so.

-------

In the following spoiler is the damage for each harvesting tool, as well as the bonus smash damage they deal. I figured at least a handful of people would want to know the specific numbers.
Spoiler

NOTE: All values are from initial release, and are possibly subject to change based on how the system performs in the near future.

Wooden Axe/Pickaxe:
-Damage: 5
-Smash Bonus: 2

Iron Axe/Pickaxe:
-Damage: 7
-Smash Bonus: 3

Gold Axe/Pickaxe:
-Damage: 9
-Smash Bonus: 4

Diamond Axe/Pickaxe:
-Damage: 11
-Smash Bonus: 5

ihermes 07-03-2018 10:12 PM

LETS HEAR IT FOR SYM
https://i.imgur.com/oF8ZGex.png

edit: heres a guide to help noobs that dont know what to do
fret not you still do damage if you miss the SMASH bar
https://i.imgur.com/y3o43fY.png

Reggie* 07-03-2018 10:12 PM

This is great. I don't play Ol west much, but I am lovin it

Vulcan Blaze 07-03-2018 10:28 PM

Very good. It makes mining much faster if you get good (which you eventually will).

Only minor issue is that you have made it so the rock resets after a different player has been hitting the rock and you hit it, why would you want to prevent friends from helping each other to mine? (Although there is probably a very good reason for having this...)

Good job though and nice to see updates finally :)

Perseus 07-03-2018 10:30 PM

I'm honestly not sure why everyone is so up in arms about this. I can mine 3 rocks in the time it took to mine 1 previously. GG olwest, even when you make it easier they still complain.

FearRrr 07-03-2018 10:41 PM

I think you should up the amount of exp and rocks/trees given when u get it to smash completely

Probs make it 3rocks every time it smashes and like a 20% exp boost

Also probs to whoever made the new mining animation ****s dope i haven’t tried woodcutting yet

Also the save yourself feature when u miss one comes in handy thank you

One last thing we can all see that this update is to stop marcoing can we get rid of bat/rats/rocks falling

TomatoPanda 07-03-2018 11:02 PM

Exp needs adjusted to be higher and this would be a quality update.

FearRrr 07-03-2018 11:15 PM

Quote:

Posted by TomatoPanda (Post 814796)
Exp needs adjusted to be higher and this would be a quality update.

Agreed and it’s very hard for me and tomato to agree on something

Symmasolan 07-03-2018 11:15 PM

I've been trying to get the bats and rats to not spawn. I'm unsure why they're still spawning, since the code that's run to actually spawn the bats/rats is not even in the new rocks/trees. I'll take another look later at it.

I'm glad that everyone here so far likes the update for the same reasons that we wanted to release it.

The reason we decided not to change EXP, or even give bonus EXP on combo break, was that you're consistently harvesting faster now if you're doing the mechanic.
Sure, you can still mine like you used to, and it'll almost always at least hit the damage that you used to (maybe a little lower), but you won't make as much money.
The whole point is that Ol'West is still a game. Mashing a button while facing an NPC is not a game. It's a boring grind. It'll still be a grind, but now it's more interactive, and feels more like an actual skill that you're improving not only in the game, but as a muscle reaction skill.

That said, everything about this update is subject to change in the coming weeks as we monitor how it does. We'll see.

Reggie* 07-03-2018 11:18 PM

Is graal ol west on pc?

FearRrr 07-04-2018 05:46 AM

I think only Facebook works

Vulcan Blaze 07-04-2018 11:31 AM

Am i the only one who finds this to be really addictive? :o

ihermes 07-04-2018 03:53 PM

Quote:

Posted by Vulcan Blaze (Post 814837)
Am i the only one who finds this to be really addictive? :o

Feels pretty good to just 6 shot a rock

TomatoPanda 07-08-2018 01:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After using this method for a few days now I must admit i like it but theres a bug ive ran into which i dont know if it only affects woodcutting and not mining. Also ive only used my android to farm so far so i dont know if its a device issue and it doesnt affect ios as well. Check the image below to see what I mean, please show this to symm he should be able to fix it easily.

One last thing i recommend making the whole bar adjustable to see in settings almost like the zoom feature on classic for controls but for the bars in mining and woodcutting cause its hard to see the bar for some cause of how small it is. I sometimes have my face really close to the screen just so i can see the bar properly which obviously isnt good for the eyes. Ive ran into people having the same problem across graal including some staff. It would be really nice.

Symmasolan 07-09-2018 03:34 PM

At the moment I'm rebuilding the GUI from scratch, as it's not functioning as intended on some device's screens. It'll be much larger, and bug out less (hopefully).