Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   Entertainment (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   13 Reasons Why (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38744)

CM 04-08-2017 05:09 PM

13 Reasons Why

Did anyone else watch it? I finished it in three days and it's insanely good. The ending has so many loose ends that I wonder if it'll have a second season, but tbh I think it's better off without one.

To anyone unfamiliar with it, it's a Netflix original about a girl who kills herself and leaves behind record tapes that describe all the reasons/people that caused her to kill herself (and as the title suggests, there are thirteen people).

Clown 04-08-2017 05:22 PM

Quote:

Posted by CM (Post 776261)
To anyone unfamiliar with it, it's a Netflix original about a girl who kills herself and leaves behind record tapes that describe all the reasons/people that caused her to kill herself (and as the title suggests, there are thirteen people).

I'm not a big comedy fan myself

PigParty 04-08-2017 05:46 PM

looked bad when i saw the trailer

fUnK 04-09-2017 07:01 PM

Quote:

Posted by PigParty (Post 776265)
looked bad when i saw the trailer

I agree. But after seeing this thread and the praise for it, I'll give it a watch. My brother is also binge watching it and told me to watch.

They need to start making the trailers better smh.

tricklebean 04-09-2017 07:27 PM

i hate the pop ups though. such a scary film

Sun* 04-09-2017 11:06 PM

I loved it, it felt real and had such a strong deep message about bullying.
By the way it ended, it probably ain't gonna get a second season but I didn't read the books so, altough i wouldn't mind a second one but I won't be surprised if it wasn't as good as the first one.

Spoiler
The scene with Hannah in her bath was realy emotional, to see this girl choosing to end her own life rather than still live in this world.

Mangsi 04-10-2017 10:04 AM

Sounds interesting. Tried watching the first episode. Not gonna even bother trying to watch with the heavy topics. I can't do those lmao.

Liz 04-12-2017 12:04 PM

The book is really good, only got through first episode so far for the show though.

Colin 04-13-2017 12:52 AM

I didn't like it, but I'll wait for people to finish watching before I explain why in detail.

Feel like some people are gunna try this at home though...

A lot of it is flawed in my opinion, and I don't really find it accurate in displaying these issues, also Hannah herself seems like a villain in the series even though she is the suicide victim.

Shmegg 04-14-2017 09:13 PM

Just watched episode one.
It felt like a bad Lifetime movie, and I didn't particularly care about any of the characters.

Don't think I'll continue watching.

MisterFace 04-14-2017 10:09 PM

That wasnt a troll, but whatever. Heres the ending for those who are weak
Spoiler
Alex shoots himself

Perseus 04-14-2017 11:34 PM

If I was gonna kill myself, I'd wanna go quick, not sit there and have to think about it for 10 minutes while I bleed out. Them ol' boys that go out in the woods have the right idea.

Asaiki 04-15-2017 12:18 AM

I'm Hannah. Hannah Baker.

BEH0LD iTz SAM 04-15-2017 05:49 AM

Quote:

Posted by Colin (Post 776886)
I didn't like it, but I'll wait for people to finish watching before I explain why in detail.

Feel like some people are gunna try this at home though...

A lot of it is flawed in my opinion, and I don't really find it accurate in displaying these issues, also Hannah herself seems like a villain in the series even though she is the suicide victim.

Well would they really want to make her look like a saint? The message they were trying to convey was how avoidable her suicide could have been and that suicide effects the people around you that you may not necessarily have known cared about you or you would have wanted to hurt. They aren't trying to glorify suicides which is why they actually showed her death and were so visceral in its depiction. You want to feel bad about her death but not to think it was everyone elses fault- I mean for one
Spoiler
had she been clear to Clay about her feelings/ not driven him away, or actually spoke out about being raped/ named the person when the Counsellor asked her then she could have overcome it.

Ultimately nobody is the blame for someone who suicides except for the person themselves. However you don't know how a person is really feeling/ who they are and your actions/ words can have consequence in driving them to think they have no other options/ actually think that by committing suicide they are actually helping those around them.

They show Hannah thinking that her committing suicide would help her parents as she felt she was a burden on them because of the financial troubles they were helping and that her death would ultimately help them. That's the mindset many people have when considering suicide which is why the show wanted to illustrate that, that action will have the opposite effect(showing the realistic reaction parents would have when Hannah's mum walked in on her death) even making others
Spoiler
around them, as they showed with Alex, also being driven to suicide as a result of that. Even Clay was shown to consider jumping off a cliff when he was more or less free from any wrong doing.

I'm not a suicide professional but I can say that the film definitely does not glorify it, or try to make Hannah look like she was free of conviction. There was a beyond the 13 reasons director episode they aired where they talked about all those issues, specifically and how they made a conscious effect not to make suicide look like a release which is why they went with what they did (how Hannah died) and showed it in its full effect with her visibly suffering rather than a 1 and done kind of death.

MrSimons 04-15-2017 08:02 PM

Quote:

Posted by Colin (Post 776886)
IA lot of it is flawed in my opinion, and I don't really find it accurate in displaying these issues, also Hannah herself seems like a villain in the series even though she is the suicide victim.

This is part of why I don't like it. Bottom line I shouldn't watch a show about suicide and be thinking "Hannah is a ****ty person, and I hate her". I may also just not be the target audience for this show, but I really don't understand the hype for it.