Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classic Future Improvements (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   A way to test out uploads without having to keep submitting them (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41746)

Green 12-12-2019 07:12 PM

A way to test out uploads without having to keep submitting them

I was talking to a friend who kept submitting their head to fix issues and it made me point out how bad I feel when I have to submit an upload 10+ times. Whenever I uplaod something I always spot a bunch of things I don't pick up on like random pixels i forgot to remove or one frame being different than the others by a little bit. Then I thought to myself and wondered if having a way to open your stuff locally was possible, so only you can see it ingame just to see if it all looks well.

So you could designate a head/body on like the first page of each type and give players the ability to upload their files similar to a Minecraft resourcepack. This would cost nothing obviously and it'd allow people to make corrections on their uploads based on their favourite bodies/hats/ without having to flood the upload queue.

I'm creating this post at a bad time because it's late and i'm exhausted so I hope I'm wording it well enough for people to understand.

Shmegg 12-12-2019 09:29 PM

You could try GraalViewer, not official but it works
[link]

XBanished 12-12-2019 09:52 PM

If you're on PC isn't there a way to do this within playerworlds? (I don't know how but if someone else does...) I like the idea of this it could be so useful.

Jarace 12-12-2019 11:35 PM

Quote:

Posted by XBanished (Post 828978)
If you're on PC isn't there a way to do this within playerworlds? (I don't know how but if someone else does...) I like the idea of this it could be so useful.

You could probably do it on Testbed. Is that what you mean?

XBanished 12-12-2019 11:58 PM

Quote:

Posted by Jarace (Post 828980)
You could probably do it on Testbed. Is that what you mean?

I could never quite figure out how it could be done there I don't know if I or anyone trying would need an account to be able to test...

Green 12-13-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Posted by Shmegg (Post 828976)
[link]

I've been using it but it doesn't let you view pull frames and it isn't really the same, if you get what i mean. Sure you can see what everything looks like during various animations but it's not the same as actually controlling your character and being able to check everything out slowly. It is a nice handy site but unless you have the files for hats you can't check what they look like with heads and it doesn't suppot accessories full stop.

also as much as I use it, I don't 100% trust the site. I know that if I hosted a something with a bunch of stolen uploads and I had a viewer like that I would save everything people try out in the viewer and add them to the countless things already on there.

Also I've heard about using Testbed but I don't have a clue about how to go about it but I was suggesting something that if it were possible to do, everyone on iclassic would have easy access to it.

Heeble 12-13-2019 08:25 PM

Quote:

Posted by Shmegg (Post 828976)
[link]

Keep in mind that the body or head is slightly offset in the side views on this program.

kush420swagYOLO 12-14-2019 03:32 AM

This would be a nice addition. I get worried I’ll be banned from uploads if i keep reuploading the same file just to see how it looks.

But If you have an android device you can use a file editor and replace a head file with your new head just by deleting a random head file you own and pasting your head file then naming it to whatever head file you deleted. This is a local change so its only client side but it lets you test out swords body's shields heads etc.
If you’d like a step by step feel free to PM me in game and ill walk you through it.

Green 12-14-2019 08:12 AM

Quote:

Posted by kush420swagYOLO (Post 828997)
This would be a nice addition. I get worried I’ll be banned from uploads if i keep reuploading the same file just to see how it looks.

But If you have an android device you can use a file editor and replace a head file with your new head just by deleting a random head file you own and pasting your head file then naming it to whatever head file you deleted. This is a local change so its only client side but it lets you test out swords body's shields heads etc.
If you’d like a step by step feel free to PM me in game and ill walk you through it.

Yeah I've known about being able to do that but I don't have an android device and my phones ios version is too up to date to jailbreak so I'm out of luck.

4-Lom 12-15-2019 04:30 AM

There's one on graal depot!

Dusty 12-19-2019 03:47 AM

It would be nice to have this in-game but there's no way to do that without uploading the file to the server first and it's surprisingly difficult to emulate Graal exactly due to how it handles body palettes.

There's a confirmation in-game before you approve an upload for review correct? That may be a good time to let players check it out.

Heeble 12-19-2019 11:25 AM

Our preview for uploads is useless compared to the staff preview. Especially when dealing with indexing issues.

Green 12-19-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

Posted by Dusty (Post 829094)
It would be nice to have this in-game but there's no way to do that without uploading the file to the server first and it's surprisingly difficult to emulate Graal exactly due to how it handles body palettes.

There's a confirmation in-game before you approve an upload for review correct? That may be a good time to let players check it out.

Oh damn that's a shame. The upload viewer linked above doesn't really do the trick and pasting your head onto a body or trying out how your head looks with a specific hat is pretty annoying because you have to manually allign everything correctly. Was hoping that this would be possible but I guess it's more complicated than that.

Yeah in the confirmation message you get sent when uploading something previews your upload but you can't check how it actually looks with other items unless you actually accept it after staff approval but that can take a long time and having to keep submitting the same thing with only minor tweaks just feels like I'm wasting the time of whoever keeps having to approve it.

What Heeble said below is another thing.

Quote:

Posted by Heeble (Post 829106)
Our preview for uploads is useless compared to the staff preview. Especially when dealing with indexing issues.

The preview we get isn't 100% accurate. On your end your body for example could look perfectly fine while on the staff preview it'll show any indexing issues and (correct me if i'm wrong) also transparency issues. Unless you try find out who is online doing uploads and ask for what the problem is, you will never know and you'll be stuck in a loop of uploading your body only for it to get denied.

This all isn't really an issue and we've been living with it for years and years now but it would've just been much easier and convenient for players if it were possible to test our things ingame somehow. Thanks for your thoughts about it and for letting us know.