Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   Video Games (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Nintendo Labo!?! (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40172)

Coco 01-18-2018 02:36 AM

Nintendo Labo!?!

The actual site for this is here

But omg what??? First time I got an email from Nintendo that actually caught my full-on attention! This looks SWEET. Only $150 for the first 3 available kits (yay goodbye, money) and by the looks of it future kits will be pretty pricey, too...but still...this looks amazing and I want it.

Discuss if you're interested I guess? I've never made a post like this before but I felt this was worth sharing cause like wow. dat robot suit tho.

5hift 01-18-2018 03:10 AM

What the ****, $150 for something that looks like a failed Kickstarter project???

Did Nintendo become so self aware of the fact that people hate buying peripherals for their consoles that they decided to completely skimp out on their Switch accessories but thought it'd be hilarious to charge an arm and a leg for them?

This absolutely isn't something Nintendo should be focusing on. Why not make premium peripherals for people who want them instead of turning them into an overpriced arts and crafts project. What an actual ****ing joke.

This probably goes without saying but who's the ****ing prodigy working for Nintendo who thought making their accessories for their 300 dollar console out of ****ing CARDBOARD was a logical decision? You realize that these things probably won't last 3 weeks worth of usage right? Especially with kids since they probably will treat these things a lot more harshly than they're supposed to. Let alone, people have the patience to reconstruct another one after their previous one inevitably breaks. At first its going to seem fun but after like the 3rd time you'll realize how ******ed this idea was and wonder why you spent 150 dollars which is pretty much HALF THE PRICE OF THE CONSOLE ITSELF on an overpriced origami set.

If you seriously want this for whatever reason, just wait for someone to buy it, scan the design and post it online, then just print out a template and make it yourself using your own materials. **** use something other than cardboard at least like plastic or even ****ing sheet metal so it won't break instantly. The fact that Nintendo thinks they can charge 150 dollars for something people can LITERALLY MAKE ON THEIR OWN IN THEIR FREE TIME is laughable.

Coco 01-18-2018 04:07 AM

Well it's $60 for kit 01 which has like 5 or so of the "toy cons" in it (piano, fishing rod, house, motor bike, and some other stuff). Kit 02 is the robot thing alone which is $80, and they have a decorating kit that's $10 with stickers and stuff to decorate your creations with. So $150 total for all 3. But yeah I agree it seems a little overpriced for cardboard.

I also thought the same thing about kids tearing it apart in minutes... Which made me wonder if it's more than just cardboard? Maybe it has some kind of coating on it or something to make it more durable than average cardboard? It seems a little short sighted if it's just your everyday flimsy cardboard so I feel like Nintendo would have thought it through in some way.

Also I don't think it'd be something you could print off yourself as it looks like there's more to it than cardboard. Like the robot suit and fishing rods have some kind of string, too... And who knows what else. Considering how it works, I'm guessing there's something you'll need that the joycons can detect to make it actually work as well.

Still totally want to get at least kit 01

twilit 01-18-2018 04:56 AM

The fact that its cardboard is what kills it for me. I dont care if its supposed to be put-together "DIY" / customizable. Besides the fact that its just overpriced cardboard (with fancy software), where am I supposed to store these cardboard figures? It seems like they would get crushed easily, so you would have to be super careful with it.

And wth are you supposed to do with it? The piano functions as a piano of course, so that one looks fun. But the fishing rod and house look worthless. Is the motorbike handlebars going to be usable in non-Labo racing games like MK8D? The robot backpack set looks like hell to put together, all those inner mechanisms with string and pulleys.

Anyway, these are basically controller accessories, like the Wii Wheel and Wii Zapper; so why couldnt these be hard plastic too?...

Perseus 01-18-2018 05:27 AM

Aside from the fact you pay >$50 for (Laminated?) cardboard, I think its pretty neat how it works.
A concern of mine is fast you would destroy it.

Adrian 01-18-2018 11:20 AM

Quote:

Posted by Coco (Post 807072)

The actual site for this is here

But omg what??? First time I got an email from Nintendo that actually caught my full-on attention! This looks SWEET. Only $150 for the first 3 available kits (yay goodbye, money) and by the looks of it future kits will be pretty pricey, too...but still...this looks amazing and I want it.

Discuss if you're interested I guess? I've never made a post like this before but I felt this was worth sharing cause like wow. dat robot suit tho.

Kid toy

Peggz<3 01-18-2018 01:02 PM

At first look I thought it was a joke as well. Cardboard just seems like a weird way to go with the product.

My prediction is that there isn't going to be as big of a demand for the product as Nintendo intended. The idea of the product is really cool, but the outcome is.. weird.

Ethacon 01-18-2018 01:21 PM

It's stupidly expensive as it is cardboard so that you can "color it". It looks as interesting as a little kid toy because that's what it is, nothing more than a Wendy's happy meal toy considering you have to build it yourself.

The Dark Roxas 01-18-2018 01:24 PM

Cool: yes
Creative: very
Cost: ehh seems a little expensive considering cardboard won't last very long, obviously the price is based more on the games themselves, but still.

I'm sure people will be 3d printing replications of the cardboard when fully assembled which will be pretty cool to see, might not work with every labo design though, but still plausible.

Would consider buying at least one of them. Definitely a creative concept, which is why I love Nintendo so much. Its like their own little version of VR.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Ethacon 01-18-2018 01:31 PM

Would have rather bought be made plastic versions.

Seriously though? Is Nintendo really as smart as we think or do they just care about marketing CARDBOARD accessories to earn some extra money and the two kits could get me half of a switch lol.

Quote:

Posted by The Dark Roxas (Post 807089)
Cool: yes
Creative: very
Cost: ehh seems a little expensive considering cardboard won't last very long, obviously the price is based more on the games themselves, but still.

I'm sure people will be 3d printing replications of the cardboard when fully assembled which will be pretty cool to see, might not work with every labo design though, but still plausible.

Would consider buying at least one of them. Definitely a creative concept, which is why I love Nintendo so much. Its like their own little version of VR.

Own little version of VR? Why does Nintendo have to be unique in every single thing they do? Why not finally give in and implement REAL VR support in their consoles, rather than that stupid AR crap and now this.

The whole AR thing in 3ds's were a simple gimmick and had no real gameplay value in them (Sure there is that face raiders game but that's just a silly tech show off).

Having VR in Nintendo consoles would actually be able to produce real games rather than tech show-offs and gimmicks that wouldn't further make people want to buy the system.

The Dark Roxas 01-18-2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Posted by Ethacon (Post 807090)
Would have rather bought be made plastic versions.

Seriously though? Is Nintendo really as smart as we think or do they just care about marketing CARDBOARD accessories to earn some extra money and the two kits could get me half of a switch lol.

Own little version of VR? Why does Nintendo have to be unique in every single thing they do? Why not finally give in and implement REAL VR support in their consoles, rather than that stupid AR crap and now this.

Would I have liked actual VR? Yeah, but think of how much more expensive the Switch would have been. As far as I know Xbox doesn't even have VR yet. Overall I think its pretty cool, if people don't like it they don't have to buy it.

Ethacon 01-18-2018 01:38 PM

When I got a Switch I was hoping for some more real games especially some open world games and so far they have introduced third-party weeb fighting games, ports of games that we already have (necessary but shouldn't be a primary focus), and updates/DLC to games already out (A good BONUS addition not a primary focus I think.) But there wasn't really all that many new games revealed for the popular series made by Nintendo (What about Pokemon Switch? For example.)

Then they go and announce this toy that looks like it came from Dollar Tree.

Quote:

Posted by The Dark Roxas (Post 807092)
Would I have liked actual VR? Yeah, but think of how much more expensive the Switch would have been. As far as I know Xbox doesn't even have VR yet. Overall I think its pretty cool, if people don't like it they don't have to buy it.

It would be a bit better concept if it was plastic.

Regarding VR, I'm sure they could sell some extra thing for it someday if it can work like that.

Pokki 01-18-2018 04:02 PM

yeah sorry i dont want a cardboard box

Coco 01-18-2018 08:45 PM

I've heard Nintendo is working on making some kind of VR system for the switch

HamStarr 01-18-2018 08:55 PM

ten bucks for quality japanese cardboard