Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classic FAQs and Guides (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Classic Uploading Guide (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40291)

Jarace 04-08-2018 01:56 AM

Classic Uploading Guide

This post will contain the following information:

Introduction
  • Information on why I'm making this thread
  • What to do if you have an uploading issue

Denial Reasons
  • A complete list of upload denial reasons
  • Examples for each reason, where necessary
  • Cases where these reasons may fail to properly communicate the issue with an upload

FAQ
  • A few useful links
  • I'll add to this section as people ask me questions here or in-game.

Introduction

The public upload rules found here work well as a summary, but lack precise detail. From this post, readers will receive a better understanding of the specifics of the uploading guidelines so that they may diagnose the issues with their own uploads more accurately. As such, the post will go over the denial reasons and focus on some areas that often cause misunderstanding. The expectation is for the rest of this thread to be a discussion of the uploading rules or questions about them. If you do want to ask something, feel free to ask a staff member in-game or post in this thread. Keep in mind that the upload rules do change.

Denial Reasons
Transparency problems: There is a visible background
Spoiler
When the background is visible in an upload, usually the person uploading forgot to remove it. Sometimes, however, it is the result of other things.
  • If your indexed body is being denied for this, make sure you indexed it properly. Here is a useful guide for indexing, if you're interested.
  • If your file was downloaded from the web, and is being denied for this reason, the file may have been a JPEG. When a file is saved as a JPEG, the image is compressed and artifacts like these are created:
    https://i.imgur.com/ZGSTBj8.png
    These artifacts no longer match the rest of the background, so if someone uploading selects "Set transparency", those parts of the background remain.

Transparency problems: Make sure not to use solid black or white
Spoiler
This one can be more difficult for players to correct. It's tough to track down a few stray solid black pixels. For heads, this most commonly happens with eyes. On bodies, we see a lot of missing shoes.

As with the last denial reason, an incorrectly indexed body can cause this to happen. Again, I encourage you to review this guide if you're working with an indexed body and see this denial reason. It's also possible that the image editing software being used by the uploader is changing nearly solid black/white to solid black/white.

Inappropriate Content
Spoiler
Any upload that is vulgar, suggestive, related to drugs/alcohol, or otherwise inappropriate falls under this category.

Bodies must have two working arms and legs. Please use a better template.
Spoiler
This one can be a bit complicated. Be sure that your upload doesn't:
  • Completely lack limbs
  • Have limbs that are too skinny or short. For example, if the body looks like a stick figure or has something like wings or fins instead of arms.
  • Have limbs that don't move in the frames for carrying or attacking things.
It's ok for the arms to be mostly covered or in pockets.

No shields that act as bodies.
Spoiler
All this one means is that you can't cover the entire body with a shield. Try reducing the size of the shield, or moving it to a place where it doesn't cover the player as much.

No images acting as/including hats, accessories, or full-face masks.
Spoiler
This one is somewhat complicated. With the introduction of accessories, the application of this rule has changed. In general, if a hat or accessory has been directly ripped from the game and is uploaded in some form, it will not be approved. Here are some specific examples of what we approve:
  • Heads with horns/animal ears that aren't ripped from the game
  • Heads with headbands that have been properly integrated into the head, for example if parts of the headband are covered by hair.
  • Heads with bandages, tape, glasses or eye patches on the head. Note that the eyeglasses should be subtle, and resemble prescription eyeglasses.
  • Shields that have scabbards/swords.
Things we do not allow:
  • Heads with shoulder pads
  • Heads with bows that aren't made of hair
  • Heads with accessories covering the mouth/neck area, like scarves and bandanas.
  • Bodies with visible shoulder pads
  • Bodies with backpacks
  • Bodies with sword/gun accessories
  • Bodies with wings
  • Bodies with scarves
  • Shields that are scarves

Incorrect Size/Dimensions
Spoiler
Make sure you're using the correct template! There are links to templates in the FAQ section. If you were using a template, check the dimensions against the corresponding template.

File size exceeds 128kb
Spoiler
The maximum allowed file size for uploaded files is 128kb.
Can't find it? This might help.
Click here for Windows
If you have a guide for OSX you think I should use, let me know. I couldn't find one that was recent enough.

Too many frames
Spoiler
This only applies to animated uploads. The number of frames does not necessarily matter, but the length does. Take the number of seconds your animation lasts, divide it by 0.05, and that is the number of frames we see in your animation. We limit you to 500 frames, or a 25 second animation. Click here for my source of this information.

No rapidly flashing animations or changing colors
Spoiler
Though this rule is usually used for animations that flash or change colors rapidly, it also applies to bodies that change colors while they move. If your animation changes colors, ensure the change is gradual.

The frames are in the wrong positions or do not match
Spoiler
Have you ever seen heads where part of the hair shows up in a different frame? This rule applies to them. If your upload is denied for this reason, try overlaying it on the template you made it with, then adjust accordingly. Your upload could also have frames that don't match. For example, some of the frames could be a dog, the others are a cat.

Missing sprites/frames
Spoiler
Make sure your upload uses the entire template. This isn't as important for shields or swords, but heads and bodies need to have sprites for every frame so ganis work properly.
A head that is denied for this reason might have nothing where the dead frame is, for example.

Copyright Infringement. Do not resubmit.
Spoiler
Inspired graphics are fine, but direct copies are not. Some things you can do to make something inspired rather than a direct copy include:
  • Leaving out minor details, like Naruto's whiskers
  • Changing the eye or hair color
  • Making the face more generic
Company logos also fall under this denial reason. The Nike swoosh is a common one, as are the various Adidas logos.

Submitted multiple times.
Spoiler
This reason is usually used during times where lots of uploads are submitted, and someone has spammed an upload many times that has already been approved or denied.

No shields that act as in-game items or tiles.
Spoiler
For shields that are taken from the tileset or another server image, or shields that are clearly based on one of these things. Balloons are not allowed (we have balloons) for this reason, as an example. Same goes for military banners. For the time being, no more banner or flag shields will be approved, but old ones will be allowed to stay. This will change at some point in the future. Sparkle shields that act as a substitute for the cookie effect / any shields with sprites from characters (using a head on a shield, for example) will not be allowed for this reason.

We'll be allowing shields that borrow elements from hats or accessories to accompany them, whereas previously they would have been denied under this rule.

Do not resubmit this image.
Spoiler
This one covers a broad range of things, as it functions as an "other" category. It can be used like "submitted multiple times", but usually it takes on other roles. See if your upload fits into one of these categories:
  • Translucent head or body
  • It's a meme (knuckles, troll face)
  • It's a direct rip from a picture
  • The upload is too small or has bad proportions (for bodies and heads)
  • It's a gun
  • It doesn't have eyes
  • It looks like a full player or could be used to impersonate one. .

FAQ
Q&A
Spoiler
Q: When you say "uploader", do you mean the staff member viewing my upload?
A: No, when I say uploader I am referring to the person that went to the uploading website and submitted the image. When I mention staff in this thread, I use "staff" or "staff members". If you see a mistake, let me know.

Q: How long do I have before my upload is no longer refundable for full price?
A: You have six hours from the time you accept and pay for the upload.

Q: A staff member refunded my upload, and I did not receive the full price. What happened?
A: It is likely that you uploaded during a sale and forgot about it. This process is automatic, so human error doesn't play a role. If you do not believe this was the case, contact support by clicking here and they will look into it.

Q: I've been upload banned! What can I do to get it removed?
A: Just like other bans, you must go to support.toonslab.com to appeal them.

Q: How can I report an upload that breaks the rule?
A: If it's a shield or sword, you can message a staff member the code. If it isn't or you do not have the file name, report someone wearing it.

Q: What are upload tokens?
A: Upload tokens are a currency players receive when uploads are refunded. You may use upload tokens to pay for new uploads. They can not be changed back in to gralats.

Q: If I have 5000 upload tokens, and 15000 gralats, can I purchase a custom head?
A: Yes, you may purchase uploads with a max of the currency. Your upload token balance is used first, so if you had 10000 tokens and 15000 gralats before uploading a head, once the head was paid for you would have 5000 gralats left over and no upload tokens.

Q: If I refund an upload within an hour and qualify for the full refund, do I receive upload tokens or gralats?
A: You will always receive tokens when refunding an upload.

Links

*Please note that some old templates are no longer usable, the maximum file dimensions are 200 x 100 pixels for shields.

Rusix 04-08-2018 02:14 AM

Very helpful Guide. But I think In the Q&A section the part where you state about the time length in which you can receive full price refunding after uploading might be wrong, unless they recently changed that. I know i have in the past refunded heads after 2 or close to 3 hours. I know because once I uploaded a head and accepted it around 6 i think, And left for some quick chores and came back and around 8:40. And refunded the head since I found some error in the back of the head i think. Was a while ago but I know it wasn't within 1 hour.

But good guide, Very much needed.

Jarace 04-08-2018 02:19 AM

Quote:

Posted by Rusix (Post 809124)
Very helpful Guide. But I think In the Q&A section the part where you state about the time length in which you can receive full price refunding after uploading might be wrong, unless they recently changed that. I know i have in the past refunded heads after 2 or close to 3 hours. I know because once I uploaded a head and accepted it around 6 i think, And left for some quick chores and came back and around 8:40. And refunded the head since I found some error in the back of the head i think. Was a while ago but I know it wasn't within 1 hour.

But good guide, Very much needed.

As far as I recall, it was an hour when the system was first introduced. It is totally possible that one hour is wrong and it was changed at some point. I'll see what I can find.

Perseus 04-08-2018 06:43 AM

Do the administrators know this? I've uploaded a few shields using the big template (152x64) that was denied for "incorrect size/dimensions." I asked an online admin and they said the graphic itself was the problem.

Jarace 04-08-2018 06:57 AM

Quote:

Posted by Perseus (Post 809145)
Do the administrators know this? I've uploaded a few shields using the big template (152x64) that was denied for "incorrect size/dimensions." I asked an online admin and they said the graphic itself was the problem.

Which template are you referring to? My list of template sizes has some that are 152x80, but none that are 152x64.

Perseus 04-08-2018 07:03 AM

Quote:

Posted by Jarace (Post 809146)
Which template are you referring to? My list of template sizes has some that are 152x80, but none that are 152x64.

Oopsies. My eyeballs must not work, I ment 152x80.

Jarace 04-08-2018 07:05 AM

Quote:

Posted by Perseus (Post 809148)
Oopsies. My eyeballs must not work, I ment 152x80.

Size aside, what was the shield? If you upload it to imgur, I can check it out in-game for you.

Perseus 04-08-2018 07:31 AM

When I first uploaded it, I was astonished it didnt get denied for what I thought it was gonna be denied for. When I talked to the admin, I was perfectly OK with it being denied as the car itself is somewhat large and it seemed like a legit reason that it was an incorrect dimension. Then I come here and click on this handy dandy thread and the reason means something totally different. Like, If it is actually acceptable it'd be delightful for a gem in my guild news.

Jarace 04-08-2018 07:48 AM

Quote:

Posted by Perseus (Post 809152)

When I first uploaded it, I was astonished it didnt get denied for what I thought it was gonna be denied for. When I talked to the admin, I was perfectly OK with it being denied as the car itself is somewhat large and it seemed like a legit reason that it was an incorrect dimension. Then I come here and click on this handy dandy thread and the reason means something totally different. Like, If it is actually acceptable it'd be delightful for a gem in my guild news.

The issue with this is that it doesn't conform to the template. It is split across three different views. So you'd see part of the shield while you faced downward, part of the shield while you faced left, etc - so the staff probably saw that and assumed you used the wrong template. If you significantly reduced the size, it might fit into one view.

I do see that "incorrect size" could be taken differently, though. These are the most common uses of the denial reasons, but so long as it properly communicates the issue with an upload there is room for deviance.

kenthefruit 04-08-2018 08:07 PM

https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31674

Jarace 04-08-2018 09:28 PM

Quote:

Posted by kenthefruit (Post 809166)

Nice guide, I'll add it to the links for anyone interested in further reading.

I'm surprised I never saw it!

Heeble 04-09-2018 01:43 PM

Quote:

Posted by Jarace (Post 809126)
As far as I recall, it was an hour when the system was first introduced. It is totally possible that one hour is wrong and it was changed at some point. I'll see what I can find.

In my experience, the hour timer only counts down while you are online. I have had instances where I've logged off right after accepting an upload only to log in hours later and be refunded the full amount.

twilit 04-09-2018 11:54 PM

It only took 6 ****ing years to get something like this.

Now where's the list of server rules that staff take action against and a list explanations for ban reasons??

Jarace 04-09-2018 11:57 PM

Quote:

Posted by twilit (Post 809239)
It only took 6 ****ing years to get something like this.

Now where's the list of server rules that staff take action against and a list explanations for ban reasons??

Check the FAQ building.

Weeno 04-10-2018 01:03 AM

You also forgot no uploading cat uploads