Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classic Future Improvements (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Proposed Menu Changes (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40688)

4-Lom 07-10-2018 11:33 AM

Proposed Menu Changes

2 Attachment(s)
Currently the menu system in iclassic is a mess (I'm not sure about the other games/servers). There are six different methods of entering six separate menu systems that do not link up or 'flow' together at all.
The following is a mock-up of the current menu flow system.
Attachment 26025
Note that, in this current system
  • Various menu functions overlap (appearing in more than one area)
  • There are multiple entry points that do not link together
  • In order to reach some functions, specific menu entries must be used
  • Access to in-app purchases is purely through one specific menu entry point
The current menu system relies heavily on the ever-present 'Back' button to navigate through the menu. Though this would be intuitive in a single-entry system, it is confusing and disorienting in the current system because there are four different character customization screens, for instance, with the 'back' button in each case leading to a different destination.

Below is a proposed menu flow diagram.
Attachment 26026
Please note that
  • All entry points link to the same menu system
  • Extraneous single-function entries are eliminated
  • Connection of all menu 'locations' allows for ease of navigation
  • Systematic grouping of features
  • In-app purchases can be reached from any entry point
  • Inventory items are presented in terms of 'toys' and 'tools'
I recommend that, instead of a 'back' button, each individual screen has a destination clearly visible. Additionally, features that include the potential for purchases (such as the character slots pack's 'additional slots' feature, the potential of VIP purchases, and other game features that are available in the overworld but obscured) be highlighted discreetly in the menu. The horseshoe item (purchased at castle) could be present on the screen when selecting a mount. The Character slots could have a 'buy more slots' button on the screen when you are browsing your current slot list... there are a lot of other features that could be introduced simply through clever GUI design.

Also, I would love to see this implemented with the 'Favorites' folder acting more in-tune with the quick menu ring. Taking a cue from Aguzo's idea (with the emojis in the minor suggestions thread here) why not have the favorites folder be a one-touch activation for any item stored within? You could have any number of functions not set to your buttons, but acting like the current use of 'last mount' on the quick menu ring.

I would be happy to go over the concept with more detail, ask questions about my proposed design, and even create a more in-depth design document (this is pretty bare bones and does not indicate screen locations for buttons, lists, etc).

Heeble 07-10-2018 12:00 PM

It's times like this where I can't tell if I'm just an idiot or if OP is.

Zorbakid 07-10-2018 02:20 PM

There are a few things that I agree with, and a few things that I disagree with. While organization may seem key at times, and it might seem like one overarching menu system is the solution, in my opinion, it is not.

The quick ring is a great concept but not something I use all the time. I prefer the quick menu buttons on the side, like the map, for example. This is just my preference, but I very much agree with the map quick ring option as well as the map located in the menu button. This would clear up space in the window.

Ive tried reading this as best as I can, and I think the major flaw in this system is that everything is TOO connected. Having everything in one place (the options menu) will only create a messier menu, with less of a cohesive element to it. You don't want to have pages and pages and pages leading to one another, it is much easier to get lost in the menu.

The tap to change for inventory I think is currently the best solution for fast swapping items in the inventory. Keeping the heads, hats, body, shield, etc customization In the player interface is also desired because you can view your character when clicking the back button. I think in the edit->options tab, the status visibility indicators should stay, but the other 'settings' could be moved to a more comprehensive game settings option, in the menu tab.

Now, lets talk about the back button. The back button is typically a core UI element, and should be used as such. It provides a sense of direction for the user and despite what menu you are going to (even if there are multiple 'gateways' to this menu,) you will return to where you were before. The back button should not be removed, as nearly every good UI incorporates it in some useful way.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that there should be separate menus for appearance and in game properties- (character customization, status, profile visibility, hats), and another menu for all game settings. Perhaps make it more intuitive in the sense that all the customization menu items and tabs should be kept behind the profile (clicking the 'edit' button) while all else should be kept in the menu button. There are just my suggestions.

4-Lom 07-10-2018 03:47 PM

Quote:

Posted by Zorbakid (Post 815269)
... a few things....

Currently there are up to 6 clicks to reach some parts of the menu. In the proposed diagram, its a maximum of 3 to any area. "Screens" are not indicated here by the blue square buttons - I was trying to depict access points with the horizontal lines.

As to the back button, it traps you in the menu system in the current version. Forces you to click 'back', again, up to 6 times in order to get out. If it was scrapped for an 'X' out button that just automatically closed the window, it would save time. As for the use of the back button to navigate menu screens, it would even be possible with current technology (already used in game, in the new profile window) to create a slider that takes you smoothly through the screens and links them all together.

There's a billion different ways you could improve on the current design, which is years and years of people piling more features onto an initial framework that was not built to house them. The proposed image here is one such way built with the current concept of buttons and 'links' from screen to screen in mind, requiring little to no alteration of the current graphics and system in place.

If there was time and resources allotted to the design of a better menu system, it could be a lot better than it is.

Zorbakid 07-10-2018 03:53 PM

Quote:

Posted by 4-Lom (Post 815279)
As to the back button, it traps you in the menu system in the current version. Forces you to click 'back', again, up to 6 times in order to get out. If it was scrapped for an 'X' out button that just automatically closed the window, it would save time. As for the use of the back button to navigate menu screens, it would even be possible with current technology (already used in game, in the new profile window) to create a slider that takes you smoothly through the screens and links them all together.

Yeah I agree, there are certainly many minor tweaks that can be made. I didn't really mean to disagree with you, I was just trying to further build off of your ideas.

Also idk but a slider sounds awful :P, but an [x] might work well
Quote:

Posted by 4-Lom (Post 815279)
If there was time and resources allotted to the design of a better menu system, it could be a lot better than it is.

Yes

4-Lom 07-10-2018 04:05 PM

Quote:

Posted by Zorbakid (Post 815282)
. I didn't really mean to disagree with you, I was just trying to further build off of your ideas.

Yeah I understood. I just wanted to make sure that you understood what you were looking at :)

Here's an example of one type of 'slider'

Here's another kind of slider (demo in unity, skip to end if you aren't interested in the technical stuff...)

There's incredible stuff available right now. Why not use it :)