Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technology (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Unity Engine Discussion (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41207)

Rusix 01-10-2019 11:26 PM

Unity Engine Discussion

Unity kinda got a massive rep for most Unity games being pretty buggy and suffer more server issues than other engines

Perseus 01-10-2019 11:34 PM

Quote:

Posted by Rusix (Post 823872)
Unity kinda got a massive rep for most Unity games being pretty buggy and suffer more server issues than other engines

You realiize the reason Unity3D has a ****ty reputation is because its cheaper than Unreal and easier to use than writing your own engine? And it has dev tools that are scarce for new developers. Its a decent engine so stop spewing the constant **** about Unity.

I've played plenty of good games that are powered by Unity so your argument is moot.

Rusix 01-11-2019 01:39 AM

Quote:

Posted by Perseus (Post 823873)
You realiize the reason Unity3D has a ****ty reputation is because its cheaper than Unreal and easier to use than writing your own engine? And it has dev tools that are scarce for new developers. Its a decent engine so stop spewing the constant **** about Unity.

I've played plenty of good games that are powered by Unity so your argument is moot.

First off, Unreal engine is literally completely free for one so I know right off the bat you have probably little to no idea what you're talking about, Literally they only take a small percentage after you reach 4,000 dollars a month so you could literally have 100 games making 3,500 a month and not ever need to pay anything, How you think that's cheaper is way past me. Even when they do the amount they take is really small. And no, Game making with Unreal is WAY easier than unity, You literally can make a game without even knowing how to script since they have blueprints for almost everything, Rendering 3D character skeletons and almost everything is easier, Plus graphically more stable. So no idea what you're meaning about Unity being easier since Unity doesn't offer the blueprint things and other super easy methods of creating something like Unreal. I mean literally my 8 year old nephew can learn to make a game in Unreal opposed to Unity, It's hardly a fair comparison. There is a reason why people don't use Unity for professional games that often for a reason, Especially for MMORPG's. Plus to top it off, Unreal Engine also literally gives you FREE paid assets every month ontop of already free assets you can use from games like Paragon,Infinity Blade,ect that you can use. And if you ever made a game you should know assets are FAR from cheap which can be 30 dollars to sometimes hundreds of dollars per asset. So Unity is FAR from easier and cheaper than Unreal Engine. I mean hell for the stuff I make in my own games Unreal has saved me probably thousands of dollars a year, Tho i still use Unity for a Polygon Knight Pack i bought a while back which i just use for color textures to extract for various stuff.

I'm NOT saying you can't make good games from Unity, There is plenty, Like Pokemon Go which most of us have played and so on, But like Pokemon Go, If you compare them to games made on other engines you'd undeniably see the fact that bugs happen way more often(Do I need to remind you Pokemon Go's constant server issues? Prob not). This isn't really a debate,Far from it, It's just common knowledge

Vendetta 01-11-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Posted by Rusix (Post 823874)

Ah this nonsense again, please stop pretending you know what you're talking about. Neither engine is better than the other, they both excel in different areas. Unity is probably the better engine for what Graal 3D is trying to achieve although Unreal would also be a great choice.

Quote:

And no, Game making with Unreal is WAY easier than unity, You literally can make a game without even knowing how to script since they have blueprints for almost everything

Blueprints are amazing and make life so much easier but they're no substitute for scripting. You'd definitely struggle to create good quality games using them exclusively, especially when creating an MMO from the ground up. Some stuff just requires code. The Unity store has some great visual scripting and while not as powerful as blueprints can definitely improve workflow.

Quote:

First off, Unreal engine is literally completely free for one so I know right off the bat you have probably little to no idea what you're talking about, Literally they only take a small percentage after you reach 4,000 dollars a month so you could literally have 100 games making 3,500 a month and not ever need to pay anything, How you think that's cheaper is way past me. Even when they do the amount they take is really small.

Unity is cheaper than Unreal for large companies. Unreal take a 5% cut on all revenue after $3000/month. Unity takes no cut and a professional licence costs $150 a month ($25 if revenue is less than 200k/year). Unreal might be cheaper for small games, but for large organisations Unity generally is.

Quote:

Rendering 3D character skeletons and almost everything is easier, Plus graphically more stable

I don't know what you mean exactly by "graphically more stable" but yes, Unreal is without a doubt better at delivering high-end visuals and offers a lot of tools which aid in this. Is Graal 3D going to utilize any of that? Looking at the Instagram post, probably not. For games which have fairly basic graphics, Unity is generally more efficient and offers better performance - particularly on mobile.

Quote:

Plus to top it off, Unreal Engine also literally gives you FREE paid assets every month ontop of already free assets you can use from games like Paragon,Infinity Blade,ect that you can use.

I very much doubt Graal, or any other professional developers are going to use free assets from other games so I don't think that would really matter.

Quote:

I'm NOT saying you can't make good games from Unity, There is plenty, Like Pokemon Go which most of us have played and so on, But like Pokemon Go, If you compare them to games made on other engines you'd undeniably see the fact that bugs happen way more often(Do I need to remind you Pokemon Go's constant server issues? Prob not). This isn't really a debate,Far from it, It's just common knowledge

Are you really trying to pin problems with the servers and bugs in the games code on the game engine? The engines aren't causing ****ty code or bad server architecture/infrastructure. Please do some research, you'll find very few people agree with what you're saying.

Perseus 01-11-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Posted by Vendetta (Post 823885)
Ah this nonsense again, please stop pretending you know what you're talking about. Neither engine is better than the other, they both excel in different areas. Unity is probably the better engine for what Graal 3D is trying to achieve although Unreal would also be a great choice.

Blueprints are amazing and make life so much easier but they're no substitute for scripting. You'd definitely struggle to create good quality games using them exclusively, especially when creating an MMO from the ground up. Some stuff just requires code. The Unity store has some great visual scripting and while not as powerful as blueprints can definitely improve workflow.

Unity is cheaper than Unreal for large companies. Unreal take a 5% cut on all revenue after $3000/month. Unity takes no cut and a professional licence costs $150 a month ($25 if revenue is less than 200k/year). Unreal might be cheaper for small games, but for large organisations Unity generally is.

I don't know what you mean exactly by "graphically more stable" but yes, Unreal is without a doubt better at delivering high-end visuals and offers a lot of tools which aid in this. Is Graal 3D going to utilize any of that? Looking at the Instagram post, probably not. For games which have fairly basic graphics, Unity is generally more efficient and offers better performance - particularly on mobile.

I very much doubt Graal, or any other professional developers are going to use free assets from other games so I don't think that would really matter.

Are you really trying to pin problems with the servers and bugs in the games code on the game engine? The engines aren't causing ****ty code or bad server architecture/infrastructure. Please do some research, you'll find very few people agree with what you're saying.

Me: Sits down and prepares to argue
Also me: Outdone by someone who actually knows what they are talking about
Better luck next time, me.

Rusix 01-11-2019 06:09 PM

Quote:

Posted by Vendetta (Post 823885)

I'm not sure if you're overall familiar with making games with both engines, I've made games from both engines for close to 6 years now(Well,Unity for 4 years, Unreal for 2, close enough) It's not that it isn't possible to made good games on Unity, But it's more so the fact you'll simply encounter far more bugs on average than other engines like Cry or Unreal. Take a look at games like Pokemon Go, SCP(Unity Remake), Rust,Ect, And you'd see that more then likely they suffer more bugs than other engines, You'll even see bigger YouTubers like Markiplier,PewdiePie,Jacksepticeye,Etc all comment on how buggy the engine is, the People who literally play games for a living would and should know from experience more than anyone else.

I'm also not entirely sure what you mean by Unity being more efficient and provides more performance for Mobile, Not a single clue, Because Unreal runs in C++, Unreal has better ability to control memory management, ect. Though hardly any better either way, I never once experienced or seen any performance difference from the games I made on Unity opposed to Unreal when I imported them for Mobile for my friends, Never once. The only difference I ever seen in this aspect is the APK files often are a bit larger from unreal. But not enough to make much of a difference what's so ever. That's really the only difference I seen in mobile from the two.

Again, I'm not saying you can't make a good game from Unity, I used to make many Unity games literally all the time for fun, But you're far more in the likelihood of encountering bug issues, It has nothing to do with the people making these games being bad themselves, It's just the Unity engine is more likely to mess something up opposed to other engines, Not that this is a Unity Exclusive kind of problem, But it simply happens more on Unity then other engines. I'm surprised this is even an argument in itself in 2019.

Perseus 01-11-2019 06:52 PM

Quote:

Posted by Rusix (Post 823888)
I'm not sure if you're overall familiar with making games with both engines, I've made games from both engines for close to 6 years now(Well,Unity for 4 years, Unreal for 2, close enough) It's not that it isn't possible to made good games on Unity, But it's more so the fact you'll simply encounter far more bugs on average than other engines like Cry or Unreal. Take a look at games like Pokemon Go, SCP(Unity Remake), Rust,Ect, And you'd see that more then likely they suffer more bugs than other engines, You'll even see bigger YouTubers like Markiplier,PewdiePie,Jacksepticeye,Etc all comment on how buggy the engine is, the People who literally play games for a living would and should know from experience more than anyone else.

I'm also not entirely sure what you mean by Unity being more efficient and provides more performance for Mobile, Not a single clue, Because Unreal runs in C++, Unreal has better ability to control memory management, ect. Though hardly any better either way, I never once experienced or seen any performance difference from the games I made on Unity opposed to Unreal when I imported them for Mobile for my friends, Never once. The only difference I ever seen in this aspect is the APK files often are a bit larger from unreal. But not enough to make much of a difference what's so ever. That's really the only difference I seen in mobile from the two.

Again, I'm not saying you can't make a good game from Unity, I used to make many Unity games literally all the time for fun, But you're far more in the likelihood of encountering bug issues, It has nothing to do with the people making these games being bad themselves, It's just the Unity engine is more likely to mess something up opposed to other engines, Not that this is a Unity Exclusive kind of problem, But it simply happens more on Unity then other engines. I'm surprised this is even an argument in itself in 2019.

is there anything you can't do

Vendetta 01-11-2019 07:47 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure if you're overall familiar with making games with both engines, I've made games from both engines for close to 6 years now(Well,Unity for 4 years, Unreal for 2, close enough) It's not that it isn't possible to made good games on Unity, But it's more so the fact you'll simply encounter far more bugs on average than other engines like Cry or Unreal. Take a look at games like Pokemon Go, SCP(Unity Remake), Rust,Ect, And you'd see that more then likely they suffer more bugs than other engines

Yes, I have been taught both engines at degree level. You keep talking about these engine bugs, but could you give me some specific examples of the some of the bugs in these games, just so I can get an idea of what you’re talking about? The fact that you previously stated that Pokemon Go's server issues are the result of Unity's engine makes me think you don't really understand. As I've said before the bugs are almost never due to the engine, but instead bugs in the game itself. I could give you examples of Unreal games which are riddled with bugs, but it’s purely down to the games code and not Unreal. I mean you’ve got 6 years of game development experience, surely you understand this?

Quote:

You'll even see bigger YouTubers like Markiplier,PewdiePie,Jacksepticeye,Etc all comment on how buggy the engine is, the People who literally play games for a living would and should know from experience more than anyone else.

Correlation does not equal causation. Just because bad games are made with the engine doesn’t make the engine bad. Watch this video

Do you honestly believe that YouTubers and people who play games have more knowledge of game engines the developers? I'd have to disagree.

Quote:

Like pretty much everything it depends on the game itself. You’re absolutely right about memory management and it can be a big deal, but the benefits are felt far less by smaller games. Unity is very lightweight compared to Unreal, something that mobile games feel the benefit from massively due to their limited processing power. This sums it up far better than I can.

Rusix 01-11-2019 10:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Posted by Vendetta (Post 823890)
Yes, I have been taught both engines at degree level. You keep talking about these engine bugs, but could you give me some specific examples of the some of the bugs in these games, just so I can get an idea of what you’re talking about? The fact that you previously stated that Pokemon Go's server issues are the result of Unity's engine makes me think you don't really understand. As I've said before the bugs are almost never due to the engine, but instead bugs in the game itself. I could give you examples of Unreal games which are riddled with bugs, but it’s purely down to the games code and not Unreal. I mean you’ve got 6 years of game development experience, surely you understand this?

Correlation does not equal causation. Just because bad games are made with the engine doesn’t make the engine bad. Watch this video

Do you honestly believe that YouTubers and people who play games have more knowledge of game engines the developers? I'd have to disagree.

Like pretty much everything it depends on the game itself. You’re absolutely right about memory management and it can be a big deal, but the benefits are felt far less by smaller games. Unity is very lightweight compared to Unreal, something that mobile games feel the benefit from massively due to their limited processing power. This sums it up far better than I can.

Well to start on the bugs, Ori and the Blind Forest's Gino tree bug, Pokemon Go's gym bug where even after beating a gym, Doesn't change anything and would require you to beat it several times over, I could go on forever on known bugs like this. I'm not saying this is Unity Exclusive as I said before,I can also list crap ton of engine bugs from Unreal and Cry, all games eventually get bugs. It's just Unity is far more likely to not land on that rock when your character jumps and read it as a Collison or not always 100% likely to make an Enemy NPC Chase you correctly. Or possibly do something that requires you to restart your game. I'm not saying whatsoever you don't get these in Unreal and Cry and other engines, But you're likelihood of Unity making a small goof and not reading code correctly time to time is just a higher chance than that of other engines. Which does not make it a bad engine, It just requires far more maintenance to keep bugs out of the game when the engine isn't doing something right in some fashion.

There is bad games made in every game engine, That's not exactly the issue, The issue is not the game itself but rather will the engine always do what It is scripted to do if you wanted to check out a menu or something. Which just requires more work than it actually needed.

Many of these YouTubers and ordinary gamers do infact have a lot of knowledge on game engines, A lot actually, Especially when they experience playing so many games made from a wide variety of game developers, Especially many big YouTubers often themselves follow large amounts of game developers and know them extremely well, Examples being Jacksepticeye who knew Naughty Dog's interior design for their games was massively amped up in Uncharted 4 than their previous games made by them, Markiplier also states how various game developers also made big improvements in their games on many occasions as well, You underestimate severely how much people know of games and their development. Of course not the average mellow laid back gamer knows everything, But bigger gaming people who take interest in these things and follow so many game developers and actually take note of what they do know a lot more then you give them credit for.

If you're making a massive game, Regardless of the engine you're using. It's more than likely going to face issues, But in terms of Unity or Unreal, It wouldn't matter, Many engines can make good Mobile games, Havok is a fairly good engine that made Gangstar Vegas, Which is close to being like GTA for mobile.

Most game engines are fine for Mobile, But when we talk about Mobile development it doesn't make much of a difference whatsoever if the developer decides to make terrible memory management, Unreal is a bit more heavier with the APK packaging yeah, But with C++ it doesn't make it much more different than anything else, I've never experienced a single issue in my experience for performance for Unity and Unreal and other engines I made Mobile development, I mean hell this game below which I been making for the past few years or so, Which i made copies for on Unity and Unreal doesn't have much of any performance issue for when me and my friends play on it(It's a private game, Not public) and this game has a lot to it. Never any performance issues from either Unity or Unreal when on either engine when we was on our mobile devices playing it, Same goes for for anything else I made. As long as you're not trying to put Black Ops or Call of Duty on your phone and you're not recklessly adding multiple high performance consuming things,Then regardless of the engine it'll be fine.

Vendetta 01-12-2019 01:55 AM

I'm not going to reply to everything because I've already addressed most of it and I don't feel like repeating it all.

Quote:

Posted by Rusix (Post 823892)
Well to start on the bugs, Ori and the Blind Forest's Gino tree bug, Pokemon Go's gym bug where even after beating a gym, Doesn't change anything and would require you to beat it several times over, I could go on forever on known bugs like this. It's just Unity is far more likely to not land on that rock when your character jumps and read it as a Collison or not always 100% likely to make an Enemy NPC Chase you correctly. Or possibly do something that requires you to restart your game. Or possibly do something that requires you to restart your game.

Okay, so none of the bugs you listed is related to the game engine. As far as I’m aware were fixed by the developer (because it’s an issue with development).

Quote:

But you're likelihood of Unity making a small goof and not reading code correctly time to time is just a higher chance than that of other engines. Which does not make it a bad engine, It just requires far more maintenance to keep bugs out of the game when the engine isn't doing something right in some fashion.

How does a game engine just make a “small goof”? It’s a program - it doesn’t just misread a line of code. Yes, they encounter errors but the majority of them come from bugs in the code itself. The engines themselves have their limitations but I don't remember ever having an engine encounter a "small goof" that wasn't fixable.

Half your argument is that Unity is “buggy” and that it causes bugs in games. Unless you can backup what you’re saying about these bugs being a result of Unity itself then I’m just going to ignore it, because it’s just plain wrong.

Quote:

The issue is not the game itself but rather will the engine always do what It is scripted to do if you wanted to check out a menu or something. Which just requires more work than it actually needed.

Yes the game engine will pretty much always do what it’s scripted to do. This just doesn’t necessarily mean that it does what the developer intended because they can make mistakes. Again, no issue with the engine.

Quote:

Most game engines are fine for Mobile, But when we talk about Mobile development it doesn't make much of a difference whatsoever if the developer decides to make terrible memory management, Unreal is a bit more heavier with the APK packaging yeah, But with C++ it doesn't make it much more different than anything else, I've never experienced a single issue in my experience for performance for Unity and Unreal and other engines I made Mobile development, I mean hell this game below which I been making for the past few years or so, Which i made copies for on Unity and Unreal doesn't have much of any performance issue for when me and my friends play on it(It's a private game, Not public) and this game has a lot to it. Never any performance issues from either Unity or Unreal when on either engine when we was on our mobile devices playing it, Same goes for for anything else I made.

I mean it’s a 2D pixel game, I don't think you're going to encounter many issues with performance. Most developers tend to agree that Unity is better for mobile, though it again is very dependent on your project.

You keep defending Unreal but I really don't have a problem with it. I enjoy developing with Unity more but Unreal is usually the better choice for most larger games. I just disagree with your sentiment that Unity is buggy and a generally bad engine, every time it's mentioned you're ****ting on it.