Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   GraalOnline Zone (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Tileset REVAMP (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38324)

Weeno 02-21-2017 02:48 AM

Tileset REVAMP

Im basically making this thread because this sub forum is kinda dead. But I honestly think a whole new tileset with a different concept and everything is kinda unnecessary, that might be just be me. But I honestly think we should just simply revamp the tileset. Like add some color, and make it have more of the modern graal shading style. Cause I think the concept of the sky world and everything is really cool and unique, it just needs to have some pizazz.

Trav 02-21-2017 03:15 AM

Add some colour? Kinda vague there.
Modern Graal shading style? What?
Futuristic makes me think of clean, flawless, advanced.

Weeno 02-21-2017 03:17 AM

Quote:

Posted by Trav (Post 766336)
Modern Graal shading style? Zone is futuristic.
Futuristic makes me think of clean, flawless.

Oops sorry I should have been a bit more specific. I basically just meant give it the modern gfx style like classic. Y'know like the type of shading they have and the colors they use, even era has it going with the style a bit of ol west.

Tldr
I personally just like their style of gfx and I think it should be added

TWIZ 02-21-2017 03:21 AM

Quote:

Posted by Trav (Post 766336)
Modern Graal shading style? What?
Futuristic makes me think of clean, flawless, advanced.

Yo even though you're graphics staff that doesn't mean you have to act oblivious to what he's trying to say. That tileset is terrible. It's far from looking "advanced" and what you're probably picturing as utopian. It's a combination of two disgusting, and completely different styled, kinds of tiles.

Trav 02-21-2017 03:23 AM

Quote:

Posted by Weeno (Post 766337)
Oops sorry I should have been a bit more specific. I basically just meant give it the modern gfx style like classic. Y'know like the type of shading they have and the colors they use, even era has it going with the style a bit of ol west.

Tldr
I personally just like their style of gfx and I think it should be added

You could only expect that style in off topic items (holiday shop, event shop etc)
Anything else and it'll look out of time.

Quote:

Posted by TWIZ (Post 766339)
Yo even though you're graphics staff that doesn't mean you have to act oblivious to what he's trying to say. That tileset is terrible. It's far from looking "advanced" and what you're probably picturing as utopian. It's a combination of two disgusting, and completely different styled, kinds of tiles.

By the way, we have a new tileset. Kind of waste to scrap it and revamp the current one, isn't it?

TWIZ 02-21-2017 03:29 AM

Quote:

Posted by Trav (Post 766340)
By the way, we have a new tileset. Kinda of waste to scrap it and revamp the current one, isn't it?

Not if it never gets used

Trav 02-21-2017 03:32 AM

Quote:

Posted by TWIZ (Post 766343)
Not if it never gets used

You make it sound like it's not.
Who / what is your source?

By the way, saying Zone never gets anything done isn't valid.

PigParty 02-21-2017 03:37 AM

I disagree. Zone's tileset is ugly and limited. I want a completely new aspect in Zone. Zone should emphasize planet exploration with various biomes, and the central 'hub' that would act as skyworld would be a spaceship. Zone has the coolest theme with the most potential of any Graal server. It's just not being taken advantage of. Parts of the new tileset look pretty badass and everything I want in Zone's tileset. That **** needs to get done, though. No excuses, especially when the artist is being paid.

Quote:

Posted by Trav (Post 766344)
You make it sound like it's not.

This tileset has been in the works for a long ass time now. It started with Tashkin and is still unfinished and unreleased. It's valid to criticize the tileset project for never being used considering its been so long and hasn't seen the light of day yet.

Trav 02-21-2017 03:39 AM

Quote:

Posted by PigParty (Post 766346)
I disagree. Zone's tileset is ugly and limited. I want a completely new aspect in Zone. Zone should emphasize planet exploration with various biomes, and the central 'hub' that would act as skyworld would be a spaceship. Zone has the coolest theme with the most potential of any Graal server. It's just not being taken advantage of. Parts of the new tileset look pretty badass and everything I want in Zone's tileset. That **** needs to get done, though. No excuses, especially when the artist is being paid.

This tileset has been in the works for a long ass time now. It started with Tashkin and is still unfinished and unreleased. It's valid to criticize the tileset project for never being used considering its been so long and hasn't seen the light of day yet.

Unfinished?

PigParty 02-21-2017 03:46 AM

Quote:

Posted by Trav (Post 766349)
Unfinished?

since a few weeks ago, yes. Just because levels staff are working with it doesn't mean its finished. Unless the major amount of work I was informed was needed was suddenly completed in a fraction of the time it took to get as far as it was a few weeks ago. If it was finished, it would be released soon after. The map design should already be planned out. The only reason I would understand that a finished tileset wouldn't be released is if other activities/jobs that required scripting were to go along with the Zone remake, in which case the tileset will not be released for a long time to come. Going back to people complaining that it will never be released.

TWIZ 02-21-2017 05:01 AM

Quote:

Posted by Trav (Post 766344)

Time

jwd 02-21-2017 07:01 AM

A tileset is a large undertaking and it's difficult to maintain a consistent, refined style. If multiple artists are working on this over time on a hobbyist basis, the end result won't be too great.

In this case, it would be far better to commission a new tileset by a professional with a clear and comprehensive brief.

A professional will deliver a good tileset within a deadline and in a timely fashion.

The only other option is for a volunteer to work on this in a professional manner, with a spec, milestones and deliverables. In this case, an agile, iterative project management model would work best.

In either case, you need a project plan before anything can be expected to happen. This is the type of project that is doomed to take literally forever otherwise.

Perhaps Zone in general would benefit with this kind of approach to deliver some large scale changes that everyone here has rightfully identified. Without, you'll only get short term projects that are a rush to complete I.e seasonal releases.

G Fatal 02-21-2017 08:04 AM

There is supposively a tileset there to use, 1pretty much done. use it. cba hearing more excuses.

jwd 02-21-2017 08:07 AM

Quote:

Posted by G Fatal (Post 766378)
There is supposively a tileset there to use, 1pretty much done. use it. cba hearing more excuses.

I think we should see it first because it's either a load of hot air or not much better, which again would be as good as hot air.

G Fatal 02-21-2017 09:32 AM

Quote:

Posted by jwd (Post 766379)
I think we should see it first because it's either a load of hot air or not much better, which again would be as good as hot air.

Ask chelt to show again, graalians censor it -because apparently leaked-although we would see anyway if ever released lmao so should be allowed for viewing.