Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   GraalOnline Ol' West (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Let's talk boomerangs (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40110)

J* 01-02-2018 07:45 AM

Let's talk boomerangs

So if you pk, base, or do anything competitive outside of sparring on this game since the 2017 Christmas gift openings, then no doubt you've come across the 'Christmas boomerang'. I basically only play this game to pk and base, but this new boomerang has destroyed all motivation to do it now as it has essentially ruined the whole darn thing.

"But J*, are you dumb? Theres pump shotties and all kinds of other unbalanced weapons on this game, why is this new boomerang a problem? You're just mad because you don't live in the States and have a bit of delay so you can't avoid it at all."
Well said small intellectual boy, now let me explain myself.

Boomerangs have always been weird, glitchy and fairly unbalanced weapons, especially on close quarters like bases! So why am i making a thread like this now? The recent gifts gave you a chance at getting this new boomerang which does 12 damage and wasn't particularly rare. The problem with this is that it was extremely easy to obtain essentially giving the entire population access to this weapon type. Previously, there were only three boomerangs in the game; the VIP boomerang, which is no longer obtainable, deals 13 dmg and only a handful of players have it. The HS boomerang which requires a whopping 100 HS to obtain and does 16 dmg. Finally the Monster Sword, a boomerang that can be obtained through trades but is quite rare to see so getting one can be difficult, it deals 10 damage..
The trend here is that all of the previous boomerangs were difficult to get.

So what makes boomerangs inherently "unbalanced" anyway?
Well. Treat boomerangs like "a long ranged melee" it is thrown out and returns to you, at both states it can damage you, as soon as it hits a player it returns to you meaning you can spam it at close quarters very easily. The real kicker with these things though is the way it actually does damage. Unlike guns where if you are hit by a bullet from your perspective, you take damage, where a boomerang, even if you arent hit from your perspective, you can still take damage. From what i can gather, they essentially "ignore lag" in a way, which is fine if the other guy is teleporting or using vpn or something. But for anyone outside of where the servers are hosted, you're gonna have a bad time. So even if you have a stable connection but delay (or "eat" as you intellectuals call it) a bit, you will still be helpless to these boomerangs. For those unawares, delay cannot be helped. Telling someone to "fix" their wifi clearly doesnt understand how ping works.

I understand that this might sound like a minor complaint but there are many people with cbows, models and hs weapons that just use their xmas boomerang now instead as its just impossible to deal with. Pair it up with healing foods and you can just run at someone and kill them no matter how much you try to dodge.

There are, from what i can think of, two sensible ways of solving this problem. You could a) nerf this new boomerang to below 10 damage. It's easier to get than the monster sword and is significantly stronger. b) disable the use of boomerangs in bases. This has already been done with sparring previously which should show just how unbalanced these things are, you could still use your bonkers boomerang outside of basing, but for people seeking some skill and (relatively) enjoyable pking, bases would be a safe haven.

or of course c) do nothing and continue to downward spiral this game for no sensible reason. You implemented the new gp system so we all know you can make wise decisions, just make this Christmas boomerang a very weak weapon that would have niche usage, and 90 percent of your players will be happier.

-with regards
the entire pk community

JimmyGraal 01-02-2018 11:20 AM

Ok how about disable hs items at bases and spar and allow them only at events Lmao

J* 01-02-2018 02:51 PM

Quote:

Posted by JimmyGraal (Post 805642)
Ok how about disable hs items at bases and spar and allow them only at events Lmao

Hs items arent the issue or the topic of this thread

Clown 01-02-2018 03:36 PM

If possible I feel the best solution is to ensure the damage is checked on the clientside like bullets.

TomatoPanda 01-02-2018 08:34 PM

Quote:

Posted by Clown (Post 805661)
If possible I feel the best solution is to ensure the damage is checked on the clientside like bullets.

Wouldnt that involve a developer :0 *gasp* this wont ever get done now! West doesn't have anyone capable of scripting anymore!?!?

Weapons that need fixed:
Boomerangs
Pump Shottys need nerfed
Freddies shouldnt stack on vaults
Blowguns Dart needs to be changed back to barely seeable again
Hs Rifle needs some sort of freeze for others to at least have a chance. (Except marios he sucks with his free hs rifle anyway ive seen brazillians handle repeaters better then him with his rifle)

JimmyGraal 01-03-2018 12:02 AM

so true Lmao

J* 01-03-2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

Posted by Clown (Post 805661)

That would also be a suitable solution. I still believe the Christmas Boomerang itself needs a damage nerf though. Literally everyone is using it and it ruins the experience completely.

MysticalDragon 01-03-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Posted by TomatoPanda (Post 805680)
Wouldnt that involve a developer :0 *gasp* this wont ever get done now! West doesn't have anyone capable of scripting anymore!?!?

Weapons that need fixed:
Boomerangs
Pump Shottys need nerfed
Freddies shouldnt stack on vaults
Blowguns Dart needs to be changed back to barely seeable again
Hs Rifle needs some sort of freeze for others to at least have a chance. (Except marios he sucks with his free hs rifle anyway ive seen brazillians handle repeaters better then him with his rifle)

That is incorrect. Hoyt is the programmer assigned to olwest. And is capable of more scripting then any current dev including my self. He joined back with olwest 2-3 months ago and is also the dev that scripted the fishing system out of the many projects he has done.

TomatoPanda 01-03-2018 05:37 PM

Quote:

Posted by MysticalDragon (Post 805770)
That is incorrect. Hoyt is the programmer assigned to olwest. And is capable of more scripting then any current dev including my self. He joined back with olwest 2-3 months ago and is also the dev that scripted the fishing system out of the many projects he has done.

Let me rephrase what i said.

Wouldnt that involve a developer :0 *gasp* this wont ever get done now! HomelessWitch keeps the devs on a leash!?!

Messiah 01-03-2018 05:59 PM

Quote:

Posted by TomatoPanda (Post 805776)
Let me rephrase what i said.

Wouldnt that involve a developer :0 *gasp* this wont ever get done now! HomelessWitch keeps the devs on a leash!?!

Please explain how she keeps them on a leash :)

Quote:

He knows we have Hoyt and he doesn't see that he's busy with lots of things on Ol west, and i may be wrong but I believe he's been helping Era as well, but overall Tomato gives HW crap for no reason

Clown 01-03-2018 06:43 PM

Quote:

Can vouch for this, Hoyt is incredible

IspringOlWest 01-03-2018 08:58 PM

Boomerangs aren't invincible, they are a glitched item that requires a different way to fight them but once you get the knack for it they are pretty easy to kill.

Messiah 01-03-2018 09:53 PM

Quote:

Posted by IspringOlWest (Post 805795)
Boomerangs aren't invincible, they are a glitched item that requires a different way to fight them but once you get the knack for it they are pretty easy to kill.

This ^^^^^

TomatoPanda 01-04-2018 02:05 AM

Quote:

Posted by Messiah (Post 805778)
Please explain how she keeps them on a leash :)

He knows we have Hoyt and he doesn't see that he's busy with lots of things on Ol west, and i may be wrong but I believe he's been helping Era as well, but overall Tomato gives HW crap for no reason

The last time she didnt have a dev on a leash was when alpho was on the team and look at everything they got done during that time alpho was there.

I give hw crap cause all ol west has been for the past year now is false promises and corruption. Obviously she cant handle two servers by herself she eathier needs to give olwest management to someone else like hoyt or leave era.

Still dont understand why your sucking off the vanderwoodsens to become a staff messiah its quite sad especially since west playercount gonna drop to 150 once delteria releases.

J* 01-04-2018 02:33 AM

Quote:

Posted by IspringOlWest (Post 805795)

Do explain. Only thing i can think of is to hide in a hallway and spam my rustle shotgun until the bad people go away ]: