Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technology (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   GPU suggestion (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36848)

Caferino 09-03-2016 09:40 PM

GPU suggestion

Recently bought this PC from a friend for a cheap price (like 150 dollar), everything seems ok with the specs except the GPU, is terrible...

Processor: AMD A4-5300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 3.40 GHz
RAM: 8Gb
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7480D with 512Mb of VRAM...

I have been searching online for good GPUs but I can not decide which. I want something under or equal to 100$. A friend is offering me his GTX 560 of 2Gb for 100$, which seems fair but who knows.

Areo 09-03-2016 10:43 PM

Well, you should probably say what you want to use the computer for first. Depending what you plan on using your computer for really changes how good of a GPU you need.

Caferino 09-04-2016 05:09 AM

Playing big games to be honest, ARK Survival Evolved as a top notch

Crono 09-04-2016 11:42 AM

Quote:

Posted by Caferino (Post 731154)

xD.

Ryan 09-04-2016 01:50 PM

Quote:

early access DLC going good?

But if you're looking at high end gaming than you probably want something in the gtx 900 range or AMD equivalent. I've been using a gtx 650 for 3 years and i think that this or below is obsolete now. You could probably go for a 700 series or equivalent if you dont wanna spend a lot

Astram 09-04-2016 03:51 PM

The GTX 560 will get destroyed by playing Ark Survival even at low settings. Just like Ryan said, go for something in the 900 range if you want to have better performance. If your budget is $100 for a GPU, get this 950 that's on sale which can go down to $99. ($139.99 - $10 instant - $30 MIR)

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product...02G-P4-0954-KR

Dusty 09-04-2016 04:08 PM

Quote:

ARK isn't a good benchmark. It's a pretty inefficient game, and even good computers have a hard time getting a decent and smooth framerate with it.

fp4 09-05-2016 03:36 PM

560 for $100 is a rip off.

A new RX 460 or GTX 950 are what you should be looking at in your price range for new GPUs.

e.g. http://pcpartpicker.com/products/vid...sort=a8&page=1

John 09-06-2016 12:23 PM

Might need a new PSU when you upgrade. What's it looking like right now?

Caferino 09-07-2016 06:43 PM

Quote:

Posted by Dusty (Post 731210)
ARK isn't a good benchmark. It's a pretty inefficient game, and even good computers have a hard time getting a decent and smooth framerate with it.

Well, the GTX 560 is what he uses to play Ark, and he confirms he can play it on medium-almost high, which is enough for me to enjoy it (I do not mind the play dooh graphics)

Quote:

Posted by John (Post 731613)
Might need a new PSU when you upgrade. What's it looking like right now?

I do not know what PSU I have, I would need to open the CPU, for now, I am not touching it till I get a decent GPU, it even lags while loading a youtube video, it also made my pc shutdown for playing Runescape plus opening Chrome.

Quote:

Posted by fp4 (Post 731382)
560 for $100 is a rip off.

A new RX 460 or GTX 950 are what you should be looking at in your price range for new GPUs.

e.g. http://pcpartpicker.com/products/vid...sort=a8&page=1

Thank you, very helpful

Quote:

Posted by Ryan (Post 731191)
early access DLC going good?

But if you're looking at high end gaming than you probably want something in the gtx 900 range or AMD equivalent. I've been using a gtx 650 for 3 years and i think that this or below is obsolete now. You could probably go for a 700 series or equivalent if you dont wanna spend a lot

Will do

Astram 09-07-2016 09:37 PM

Quote:

Posted by Caferino (Post 731799)
Well, the GTX 560 is what he uses to play Ark, and he confirms he can play it on medium-almost high, which is enough for me to enjoy it (I do not mind the play dooh graphics)

I do not know what PSU I have, I would need to open the CPU, for now, I am not touching it till I get a decent GPU, it even lags while loading a youtube video, it also made my pc shutdown for playing Runescape plus opening Chrome.

Have you actually seen him playing Ark at those settings? I would estimate that it would only get around 30fps on low settings in 1080p. Your friend may have a resolution that's even less than 1080p which gives him these graphics.

Also not sure why you would need to open the CPU to check which PSU you have. As far as I know, the CPU doesn't even open lol. You're going to need a sufficient PSU so that you have enough wattage to even power your GPU. If you wait to get a decent GPU and don't have enough wattage, you will be extremely dissapointed when your computer won't work right.

Finally I still wouldn't buy the 560 as it's absolutely a terrible deal when you can get a card that's much better for the same price. It just wouldn't make sense to go any less than a 950 for your needs.

Lambda 09-08-2016 01:59 AM

I'd wait for RX 460, or save up a little and get Sapphire's RX 480, you'd probably get better performance if you get a GTX 1060 (same price), but the 480 is future proof, (DX 12 and Vulkan optimized)

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Caferino 09-10-2016 12:25 AM

Quote:

Posted by Toad (Post 731817)
Have you actually seen him playing Ark at those settings? I would estimate that it would only get around 30fps on low settings in 1080p. Your friend may have a resolution that's even less than 1080p which gives him these graphics.

Also not sure why you would need to open the CPU to check which PSU you have. As far as I know, the CPU doesn't even open lol. You're going to need a sufficient PSU so that you ...

Well I played with him in ARK, we were allies, and everyone would make fun of me for playing with play dooh graphics (I could go for medium but I prefer smooth fps over graphics) this in my dad's computer of course (which is a good pc). So yeah I believe him, I said the same thing as you but I don't see why would he lie, he told me I would get a refund in case the card sucks.

My PC's resolution is lower than 1080p, I forgot the actual screen's res, but is lower than 1080. Also, is there a way to check my power supply without opening my pc?

Quote:

Posted by Lambda (Post 731834)
I'd wait for RX 460, or save up a little and get Sapphire's RX 480, you'd probably get better performance if you get a GTX 1060 (same price), but the 480 is future proof, (DX 12 and Vulkan optimized)

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Yeah good idea

Astram 09-11-2016 02:11 PM

Quote:

Posted by Caferino (Post 732079)
Well I played with him in ARK, we were allies, and everyone would make fun of me for playing with play dooh graphics (I could go for medium but I prefer smooth fps over graphics) this in my dad's computer of course (which is a good pc). So yeah I believe him, I said the same thing as you but I don't see why would he lie, he told me I would get a refund in case the card sucks.

My PC's resolution is lower than 1080p, I forgot the actual screen's res, but is lower than 1080. Also, is there a way to check my power supply without opening my pc?

Yeah good idea

Here is a video of someone benchmarking their GTX560 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYVxU6hPU8I

Here is a video of someone benchmarking their GTX950 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oUuOrzPchY

There is a huge difference in Ark Survival and many other games as well. The fact that your friend is offering you a refund is just sketchy too lol. It just makes no sense at all to me why you would want to spend MORE money on something that is simply worse, which won't be able to play modern games with good settings at a reasonable fps.

Also, you would probably need to open up the PC to check the power supply unless it says it on the outside where you plug it in. However, all you would need to do would be just unscrewing a panel and putting it back on so it shouldn't be difficult.

hosler 09-11-2016 04:34 PM

Go check your PCI versions before you buy anything new.

fp4 09-11-2016 06:48 PM

Quote:

Posted by hosler (Post 732295)
Go check your PCI versions before you buy anything new.

PCI Express is backwards compatible so that has no bearing on an upgrade.

hosler 09-11-2016 08:48 PM

That's usually true but some cards won't go down to version 1.0. The only reason I'm bringing it up is because it sounds like op inherited some old hardware.

Caferino 09-11-2016 09:50 PM

Quote:

Posted by Toad (Post 732281)
Here is a video of someone benchmarking their GTX560 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYVxU6hPU8I

Here is a video of someone benchmarking their GTX950 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oUuOrzPchY

There is a huge difference in Ark Survival and many other games as well. The fact that your friend is offering you a refund is just sketchy too lol. It just makes no sense at all to me why you would want to spend MORE money on something that is simply worse, which won't be able to play modern games with good settings at a reasonable fps.

Also, you would probably need to open up the PC to check the power supply unless it says it on the outside where you plug it in. However, all you would need to do would be just unscrewing a panel and putting it back on so it shouldn't be difficult.

Thanks for the heads up and the video, very helpful. This is why I came here first, to mak sure I can find a better option for those 100$, and yeah I have no problem by opening the pc :)

Quote:

Posted by hosler (Post 732328)
That's usually true but some cards won't go down to version 1.0. The only reason I'm bringing it up is because it sounds like op inherited some old hardware.

Will do, the hardware is about 4 years old, probably 3 only, he said. But he is pretty clumsy orna liar, he told me he can run LoL, skype and a filming software all at the same time smoothly. This crap can not even open chrome while running Runescape with play dooh graphics...

Skill 09-12-2016 09:00 AM

get an rx 460