Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Chat (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Seeking piano advice (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40601)

Ndw 06-20-2018 12:22 PM

Seeking piano advice

Hi there, since I can't seem to know anyone that I can seek advice on, as well as searching the internet, I decided to seek from you guys, my fellow graal players :). I am actually 20 now, and I wanted to learn how to play since when I was at a young age, and now that I got the chance to learn. I have ONE major question and concern, my left hand gets hurt after practicing for a few minutes. Is this a major issue? What if I have had an injury from when I was younger? am I still able to get better playing the piano(its a keyboard actually)? Or is it normal for beginners? Thank you in advance to anyone who can give me some advice

Eugeen 06-20-2018 02:04 PM

It could just be because your hands aren’t used to being in the positions required for a long time which puts more stress on your muscles
It could also just be that you position your hands in the wrong way for this to happen

I have like no knowledge on what the good and bad ways are when it comes to hand positioning though, it might help to look up some videos about this on youtube

Rusix 06-20-2018 10:50 PM

This is completely normal. I took a Piano class for 3 months when I was about 13. I experienced the same kind of thing, It's not uncommon.

Ndw 06-21-2018 11:20 AM

Oh what a relief, got myself paranoid for a moment back when my hands got hurt, all I have read on the internet is that if that happens consult a professional help blah blah, freaked me out a little bit. Anyway thank you guys

5hift 06-21-2018 06:03 PM

Is it your wrist that hurts or other parts of the hand like your palm or fingers?

Fae 06-21-2018 06:22 PM

Also- are you right handed or left handed? That could be part of it as well. But either way, I'm pretty sure it is normal. There are certain songs I'll play that'll leave my hands hurting after playing them a few times, even now.

Liz 06-21-2018 10:49 PM

Since you just started playing, I think it's normal, since your fingers aren't used to those kinds of muscle movements yet. Like Eugeen said, it could also be caused by having an incorrect hand position.

If the pain worsens though, I would go see a doctor (depending on the severity of the pain, and the nature of your previous injury). I have a friend who had a sports injury in their arm muscles, and when they played piano, it worsened the previous injury.

Ndw 06-22-2018 12:03 AM

I am right handed actually, and the only part that get hurt is the part of my pinky area in my left hand palm

5hift 06-22-2018 01:03 PM

That's pretty normal for new players.

Just remember to be gentle on the keys. You don't need to mash these things down to get the notes to play.

DoubleliftGraal 07-01-2018 02:31 AM

Just keep playing and playing. You'll get used to it. At first, go for songs with easy left hand patterns and as you feel more comfortable with that, try to go for more complex songs with complex left and right hand patterns. This probs is a good solution if ur left hand hurts while playin; although when i Played, my hands had no problem.

Ndw 07-02-2018 04:29 AM

Haha, alright guys :) thank you for those tips, really appreciate it