Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   GraalOnline Classic (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Changes that ruined iClassic for me (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41087)

Nglyeh 11-30-2018 02:46 PM

Quote:

Posted by SomeGuy (Post 821858)
Dont forget air asia

I miss air asia.

Phenalix 11-30-2018 06:15 PM

Quote:

Dont forget air asia

kinda fair because of copyright

WaFFL3Cake 12-01-2018 03:42 AM

Quote:

Posted by Vendetta (Post 821746)

As in this tileset? Fairly sure it was a mashup of pics1 with a few things from New World. It was very cluttered and not pretty. The new tileset is minimal, cleaner, and in my opinion suits the iClassic art style far better than the old one.

That's what I don't like about the new one. I don't have a big issue with there being a "new" tileset as much as I do the style of it. I feel like the simplicity of it discourages exploration.
When I was new to the game in 2010, I was fascinated by the world layout and graphics. When we had the Facebook/VIP server, I fell in love with exploring basically the same map all over again.

The way I see it is that the detail in the graphics make exploring appealing. I think certain areas of the current tileset could use some touchups...segue into

Color choices. If you take a look at Graal City, you'll see a lot of brown. If you take a look at the normal buildings (e.g. Christian's Shop, Information Kiosk, Azrael's Nightclub, Zol's Pub), you'll find a colored roof and various shades of brown. Even the windows are just brown. Taking a look at Elandy's Love Shack & Jesus Freaks, you'll find colored curtains. I don't understand why these curtains couldn't be used on all of the buildings.

I like to reminisce about the old tileset, but I'm not going to ask for it back. I'm at a point where I'd like to be content with the new one, but the monotony is holding me back.
____
Before anyone says that the tileset has to fit iClassic's reformed graphical style or something along those lines:

-The tileset is what primarily defines the graphical style, as hats & other accessories come and go and can be designed to adapt to the style of the tileset.

-Tiles can be updated to destroy senses of monotony while still maintaining
iClassic's graphical style

I implore the staff to think about how graphics are important from a game design perspective, and to understand how even minor tweaking can affect players/player experience.

Jenia 12-01-2018 11:55 AM

imagine thinking the old tileset is better than the new one... 💀

Distorted_P2P 12-01-2018 03:23 PM

People want progress then complain when we progress, you just can’t please everyone

Green 12-01-2018 03:39 PM

Quote:

Posted by Basi (Post 821857)
yeah i agree, north graal was my favorite spot in the game. as for the other spots, i think i know why they removed them. azrael's treehouse was removed for two reasons. 1. staff embarked on a campaign to remove a lot of "personalized" places on the map. anything that was made for one person or to tribute a person or guild was removed. this goes for skyld's treehouse as well. 2. azraels treehouse had a secret base that only members of zanza could enter. i know because i was in it. it was a huge secret base with their own copy and paste of the grotto, underground caves, essentially a massive guildhouse.

the campaign to remove personalized places on the map hurt me a lot, but i understand why they did it. kinda confuses new players who never got to meet azrael or skyld since theyre no longer around on the game. this is why things were removed such as: SNC guild house, Jezzle's house, Darkblade guildhouse, and more.

I completely forgot about those last ones you mentioned. They could've at least renamed them and opened everything to the public instead of straight up removing them. They were so cool.

Quote:

Dont forget air asia

What was Air Asia like anyway? I had stopped playing for a while at that point so I never really saw what it was.

Mashboyellis 12-01-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Posted by Green (Post 821894)
What was Air Asia like anyway? I had stopped playing for a while at that point so I never really saw what it was.

An island you got to with a hot air balloon with a few blobs and that was about it, only thing it served for was a place to hide warpers/chests, was always empty. Pretty sure it used the same tileset as the Facebook server as well, but might be mistaken

SomeGuy 12-01-2018 08:15 PM

Quote:

Posted by Green (Post 821894)
I completely forgot about those last ones you mentioned. They could've at least renamed them and opened everything to the public instead of straight up removing them. They were so cool.

There was a library there, and that was pretty much it. It was one of the last areas to use the old tileset and was a pretty cool place to just explore.

Eugeen 12-01-2018 08:35 PM

Air Asia only existed as a promotion for the Air Asia company which probably cost them a lot of money.
The layout of the island was pretty nice though but it makes sense that they removed it once the promotion was over

luk 12-01-2018 09:52 PM

I agree, this tileset used in the graal is not good, it is a very ugly look, especially the trees, the old one was not those things, but it looked like mmorpg, it was much more favorable to the game style

Green 12-01-2018 09:56 PM

Quote:

Posted by Mashboyellis (Post 821896)
An island you got to with a hot air balloon with a few blobs and that was about it, only thing it served for was a place to hide warpers/chests, was always empty. Pretty sure it used the same tileset as the Facebook server as well, but might be mistaken

Ah so it was sort of like another Oasis type area?

Thallen 12-01-2018 11:33 PM

Air Asia was pretty useless and existed only because the son of the CEO of Air Asia played Graal and convinced his dad to sponsor the game in some way. Functionally, I'm pretty sure the only thing that you could do there was farm (and it wasn't even great if I remember).

I don't think removing any of the useless houses or areas objectively made the game worse, I think if anyone feels that way then it's a good indicator that you're a little nostalgic over the game and no matter what happens you'll always think the old days were better (which is fine).

Imprint 12-02-2018 07:29 AM

Quote:

Posted by Green (Post 821848)
I'm not sure if it's just because I've played it a lot or not but the game used to feel like it had so much more to explore, the world felt so much bigger and it had more character to it. Now everything sorta looks the same and there isn't anything special around anymore.

The map remake added a ton more secret areas than it removed, but ~nostalgia~.

Westbrook Graal 12-02-2018 02:00 PM

Quote:

Posted by Crono (Post 821791)
im going to quote this whenever the devs want to spend time polishing stuff because i feel this is the average graalian nowadays. completely tasteless

imagine being insulted at someone elses taste and opinion of a tileset you didnt even make lol

as for my own thoughts, the biggest issues i've had personally
-server lag and delay in spar. probably my biggest issue, you could overlook a lot of the other games flaws if when you actually decided to spar and play the game it wasn't a buggy laggy mess. seems like it gets worse every season too. its at the point where you have to swing 2 seconds infront of almost everyone you'll spar. gst was way more laggy than usual as well but whatever

-guild rewards being removed. pretty self explanatory, it's just ******ed to remove a functioning system everyone has loved for years with no replacement. it's been 2 years i highly doubt there will be a replacement ever.

-upload tokens and rotating hat stock. not as important, but still makes stuff annoying. upload tokens is self explanatory, and for the rotating hat stock, it just makes it annoying because i can't just walk in and buy a hat i like, i have to actually wait up to days at a time.

-lack of involvement from admins. one of the biggest issues that has truly hurt this game. all of my earlier points sorta tie into this one. example, the staff added in upload tokens and told everybody nothing. then when people noticed, they lied and said there was an exploit. they don't add in any of the players suggestions, doesn't even seem like they consider them. just spew out random bull**** updates that often times hurt the game.

i have years of memories w graal it sucks this is how stuff is playing out

Shad 12-02-2018 04:45 PM

I can agree with most things except the part that removing guild rewards (specifically 1k hats) ruined the game. Not sure if you played that long ago but there were same groups of people who kept getting 1k and later then switching to other guilds and doing the same. People who always held the same towers for hours, (always held sards or destiny). Guilds like UpRising, The ABB, Half Heart, MDR, Special Forces and however many more guilds they had, idc. Point is, that was the reason towering rewards were removed. Towering just became a hat sport, which wasn’t fun anymore, considering more than half the server couldnt get a single guild hat or took even longer to get their first hat. And Im guessing there’s 50 person limit for that reason, ngs will have a way where more people are able to obtain rewards.