Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classic Future Improvements (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Operation stimulus package (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41917)

4-Lom 05-05-2020 09:50 AM

Operation stimulus package

Hey guys, I wanted to comment on the recent changes directly here. The trend seems to be a big push towards monetizing the game lately. While this is understandable, and even commendable in some respects, there's a degree of game engagement and gameplay that's in danger of getting lost now.

Bugs:
New bugs are neat, but there's maybe 3 or 4 hours of searching (more if you can't get a damn centipede right away) before you are done here. Bug values are still quite low (less than 100g across the board) and thus it seems a waste of time to pursue them.

Suggestions:
Increase sell price for rare bugs of the day that witch asks for, while making them actually rare. Increase common bug appearance rate to improve interest and interaction, thus improving gameplay experience without greatly impacting the financial aspects of catching them.

Loot:
This one almost flew under the radar, but loot spawn rate has been reduced to almost nothing in the last wave of updates. Used to be you could fill 200 items in a few hours if you hustled... Now I'm seeing about 5 to 10 items spawn in 40 minutes.

Suggestions :
Nerfing a system into the ground might seem a logical choice, but looting was designed to incentivize players to move around the map. Killing this system outright as you have will not only reduce gameplay draw (one of the only easy activities that functioned reasonably well in spite of lag) but it will reduce interest in moving around. Rant over - return spawn rate to normal but reduce chance of rare items if reducing the income from this activity is required.

Furniture :
Purchase prices stayed the same while availability of new items and resale value over the last 2 years has been devastated. Never mind 1 and 2g resale on Halloween and Christmas items. Ew.

Suggestions :
Reduce purchase price or return resale to 50%. Remove the ridiculous inventory limit of 100 items. VIP letting you have 200 items shows that a. The issue with the system is misunderstood and b. That the limit can be edited or extended.

Bounty:
Most bounties are such a boring grind where the only solution is to stand in a corner and mash the sword button until enough baddies run into you to fill the box. Only a select few are engaging enough to be a challenge and quick enough to not just be boring.

Suggestions :
Improve the system through unique quests, combinations of baddies to complete the mission, or at very least calibration of the missions to make them take 10 to 15 minutes and not 40 minutes or more due to repetitive chasing of enemies escaping out of reach. Account for server lag. It's damn annoying.

Any others guys?

SomeGuy 05-05-2020 10:30 AM

With farming, remove the hornets. Gralat spawn rates are destroyed as it is without having to worry about a ruddy hornet popping up and killing you.

McCullough 05-05-2020 11:54 AM

For sure. I want bugs to be worth my time. At least 60-100 gralats minimum, and rare bugs even more.

I don't see many loot spawns anymore, either. When I do, the loot bubble stays there for a quarter of the time, giving you less time to dive for it. As far as I know, loot values are unchanged. Definitely not as strong a means of earning gralats, though.

I only spend my gralats on furniture I really want and not just to have, but it does't make sense not being able to sell furniture for at least 50%. It's just stupid.

I don't really do bounties anymore. Some are easy and can be done quickly, most are a huge pain in the a**, waste of time, and not worth the gralats.

Blobs-- Fine
Rats--Pain
Lizardons--Pain
Snakes--Pain
Bush Soldiers--Tedious
Normal Soldiers-- Fine
Crabs--Tedious
Bats--Tedious
Spiders--Pain
Bandits--Fine
Pyrats--Fine

A lot of them are either a pain or take a while, especially with competition. Lizardons drop gralats constantly when killing them, so it's usually possible to rack up a total of 1500+ in at the end of the bounty. That's not bad for having to kill 25 at least. Every other bounty isn't worth my time. 250 extra gralats for finding a special baddy is nothing. Would like at least 2k from each bounty.

As for farming, it never really was a great source of gralats. Even before this nerf I never thought it to be worth my time, except when bored. Now, with this hornet that spawns often, it really isn't worth the time.

I get it, they want to stop botting and/or codeshops, but making gralats is a grind. Things are easily worth 5k-10k, at least good things. Hats are never going to be worth more than 2.5k, and at this rate I'm only making a few hundred a day.
Oh well.

4-Lom 05-05-2020 12:03 PM

Farming, for me, was a way to interact with other players. I would have cash prizes for games, trade money for rare food, even create games that players would make money from playing in my house. With the 5 or 10k I could scrape up from the bushes around Xmas time I would match it with bounties and spend 20 or 30k running mini games to give out gifts to strangers who won.

Now that's gone.

McCullough 05-05-2020 01:40 PM

Quote:

Posted by 4-Lom (Post 830583)
Farming, for me, was a way to interact with other players. I would have cash prizes for games, trade money for rare food, even create games that players would make money from playing in my house. With the 5 or 10k I could scrape up from the bushes around Xmas time I would match it with bounties and spend 20 or 30k running mini games to give out gifts to strangers who won.

Now that's gone.

Yes it's a shame. Genuine transaction is gone. Not many people would actually give out gralats as prizes, though, and a lot of people would still scam and trick others.

I finally caught a worm today, and even as the bug of the day, the worm is still worth only 1g...

4-Lom 05-05-2020 07:41 PM

lol @ whoever moved this to "future improvements" section...

Sir Travis 07-29-2020 11:20 PM

Fully agree with the calibration of time required for bounties, 75 bats is totally bananas and takes a long time

15-30 minutes seems fair to me for 1000 gralats

Not gonna lie... I keep skipping that one

McCullough 07-30-2020 07:24 AM

I only do Bandit or Lizardon Bounties. Anything else and Lord Tristam can kiss my a**

4-Lom 11-25-2020 12:51 AM

Bump.

GOAT 11-25-2020 11:18 PM

1200 gralats for all

McCullough 11-26-2020 04:51 PM

I want at least 2k-2.5k gralats as a minimum, as most of the bounties take at least 20 to 30 minutes for me. Snakes take me a long time, and I still don't bother with tedious bounties like spiders, rats, or ambush soldiers.

The hornet honestly spawns too frequently. I actually like manually farming to earn gralats and waste time, but the game can't differentiate between that and bots obviously. There isn't a way to flank or out-manuever the hornet, so trading damage is typically inevitable unless connection is off, which just isn't cool. You can't chase it, because it flies back for a few seconds until it can attack again. It has 1.5HP, so it will take 3 hits until it dies. It can take up to 30s to actually kill since it retreats after stinging you, and sometimes you won't even hit it due to connection, so that can delay you even more.

When it dies, it can drop a gold gralat. Sometimes it doesn't drop anything.

You used to be able to just go inside your house and immediately go back outside to get rid of it, but that no longer works. Logging off and logging back on gets rid of the hornet. The hornet will stick around even when it kills you, so you either have to kill it or log off.

The good news is people can no longer use bots to farm anymore. The frequent spawns and natural tenacity of this baddy will disrupt any automatic farming bind.

The bad news is this can be a huge hindrance to anyone trying to farm normally without bots. I actually would spend at least an hour or so just cutting grass and bushes... I know people who'd do it all day! Not only is the hornet an issue for rule-abiding players, but gralat spawns in houses and guild houses was also decreased a while ago. Even if I wanted to spend an hour of my day farming, I make less than 500g... Maybe less than 350g.
Spoiler

Your best bet is doing a bounty for a decent 1000g. You need to get lucky with a good bounty, though otherwise it just isn't fun.

The thing is, none of the actual money-making activities are equal, and it isn't something we really discussed before. Bounties always give 1000g minimum, and it arguably takes the least amount of time compared to all the activities. Looting enough items for a value of more than 1000g takes time. Other items are more valueable than others.
Farming is hindered by decreased spawn rate of gralats and a tenacious hornet that attacks the player.

Possible fixes?

Certain bounties need to be worth more, as each different baddy needs to be fought a certain way. Simple 1k to 1.5k bounty rewards could be normal baddies like Rebels, Pyrats and Bandits, as they are arguably the easiest to fight. The tougher baddies like Snakes, Spiders, or Lizardons could be 2.5k to 3k due to the patience and pattern required to actually kill them properly.
With these values, people have chances to earn more or less gralats depending on which bounty they get for the day.

For looting, it should be encouraged to actually move around the map more to sell certain items to NPCs. Many people like to sell only to Elster, and many don't realise other NPCs take certain items for slightly more gralats. The problem is the gralat difference isn't that significant when selling to Elster or another NPC.
Fixes?
Increase the value of certain items to encourage players to traverse the map more in order to make more gralats.
Since the loot spawns are random, the least you can have players do is actively work to make more gralats by having them go to certain NPCs throughout the map, and giving specific loot items to them.

Farming fix?
Increase spawn rate of gralats and decrease the rate at which the hornet spawns. It's just not worth trying to grind for gralats in your house getting almost nothing while frequently fighting a pesky baddy that almost guarentees damage against you. This way abiding players can make a little more and worry less about the hornet a little bit, and bots still won't work regardless.

It all works hand in hand; once your bounty for the day is complete, you can do some looting and give certain loots to NPCs around the world for more gralats, and the trash to Elster.
Once that's complete, you can farm for a little bit and save up some gralats to continue building up for the future. Fighting the occasional hornet here and there for an extra couple hundred gralats.

This way, abiding players can make decent gralats, and the bots in houses still won't work.

People who spend real money for gralat packs will continue to do so. Lazy people just do that, but the people that don't spend real money will work harder and spend more time playing.

Bugs just need to be worth more. Players still have to actively compete for bugs, and they are a seasonal money-maker, anyway. The fact that bugs are still worth less than 80g is astounding. Bug hunting is the only competitive gralat activity in the game. We all see how people lose their minds when frogs come out for the year, because they want those mounts, hats, and accessories. If bugs held that much worth the competition would be similar to that of the frogs and people would have to earn their catches and gralats individually. Every time I see a bug, I'm usually the only one around amidst dozens of people who try to catch them, because I still care. The fact that others don't even bother should signify that there's a problem, and that must be fixed.

4-Lom 11-28-2020 03:03 AM

I actually find that the hornet is easier to dispatch if you die. There's two solutions, one being ignore it, the other being set up a farm system that includes and accounts for death. That can mean using a respawner and spoke floors or incorporating guard rails for when you are struck or killed.

A bit unclear about the amount that's made farming, but it's better than bugs or looting now for sure.

Sir Travis 12-02-2020 12:06 PM

I hear a lot of rumours about nerfed farming, what’s the official word from staff? I haven’t noticed any drop rate changes and a daily cap

Sure would be nice to get some clarification as it would dispel the rumours and conjecture

I’ll give it a proper test myself over the Christmas break and try to hit the daily cap, and keep track of how many gralats per hour I can generate in the GH farm (I’ve been told you can only farm a few thousand per day)

One kindly staff member could save me from that :D but I gotta know myself

4-Lom 12-03-2020 02:13 PM

I've not noticed a cap, but it sewms slower than it was. The biggest issue is that I can't give away money to other players for mini games anymore. ����

4-Lom 12-30-2020 06:17 PM

Spoiler
Quote:

Posted by McCullough (Post 831858)
I want at least 2k-2.5k gralats as a minimum, as most of the bounties take at least 20 to 30 minutes for me. Snakes take me a long time, and I still don't bother with tedious bounties like spiders, rats, or ambush soldiers.

The hornet honestly spawns too frequently. I actually like manually farming to earn gralats and waste time, but the game can't differentiate between that and bots obviously. There isn't a way to flank or out-manuever the hornet, so trading damage is typically inevitable unless connection is off, which just isn't cool. You can't chase it, because it flies back for a few seconds until it can attack again. It has 1.5HP, so it will take 3 hits until it dies. It can take up to 30s to actually kill since it retreats after stinging you, and sometimes you won't even hit it due to connection, so that can delay you even more.

When it dies, it can drop a gold gralat. Sometimes it doesn't drop anything.

You used to be able to just go inside your house and immediately go back outside to get rid of it, but that no longer works. Logging off and logging back on gets rid of the hornet. The hornet will stick around even when it kills you, so you either have to kill it or log off.

The good news is people can no longer use bots to farm anymore. The frequent spawns and natural tenacity of this baddy will disrupt any automatic farming bind.

The bad news is this can be a huge hindrance to anyone trying to farm normally without bots. I actually would spend at least an hour or so just cutting grass and bushes... I know people who'd do it all day! Not only is the hornet an issue for rule-abiding players, but gralat spawns in houses and guild houses was also decreased a while ago. Even if I wanted to spend an hour of my day farming, I make less than 500g... Maybe less than 350g.

Your best bet is doing a bounty for a decent 1000g. You need to get lucky with a good bounty, though otherwise it just isn't fun.

The thing is, none of the actual money-making activities are equal, and it isn't something we really discussed before. Bounties always give 1000g minimum, and it arguably takes the least amount of time compared to all the activities. Looting enough items for a value of more than 1000g takes time. Other items are more valueable than others.
Farming is hindered by decreased spawn rate of gralats and a tenacious hornet that attacks the player.

Possible fixes?

Certain bounties need to be worth more, as each different baddy needs to be fought a certain way. Simple 1k to 1.5k bounty rewards could be normal baddies like Rebels, Pyrats and Bandits, as they are arguably the easiest to fight. The tougher baddies like Snakes, Spiders, or Lizardons could be 2.5k to 3k due to the patience and pattern required to actually kill them properly.
With these values, people have chances to earn more or less gralats depending on which bounty they get for the day.

For looting, it should be encouraged to actually move around the map more to sell certain items to NPCs. Many people like to sell only to Elster, and many don't realise other NPCs take certain items for slightly more gralats. The problem is the gralat difference isn't that significant when selling to Elster or another NPC.
Fixes?
Increase the value of certain items to encourage players to traverse the map more in order to make more gralats.
Since the loot spawns are random, the least you can have players do is actively work to make more gralats by having them go to certain NPCs throughout the map, and giving specific loot items to them.

Farming fix?
Increase spawn rate of gralats and decrease the rate at which the hornet spawns. It's just not worth trying to grind for gralats in your house getting almost nothing while frequently fighting a pesky baddy that almost guarentees damage against you. This way abiding players can make a little more and worry less about the hornet a little bit, and bots still won't work regardless.

It all works hand in hand; once your bounty for the day is complete, you can do some looting and give certain loots to NPCs around the world for more gralats, and the trash to Elster.
Once that's complete, you can farm for a little bit and save up some gralats to continue building up for the future. Fighting the occasional hornet here and there for an extra couple hundred gralats.

This way, abiding players can make decent gralats, and the bots in houses still won't work.

People who spend real money for gralat packs will continue to do so. Lazy people just do that, but the people that don't spend real money will work harder and spend more time playing.

Bugs just need to be worth more. Players still have to actively compete for bugs, and they are a seasonal money-maker, anyway. The fact that bugs are still worth less than 80g is astounding. Bug hunting is the only competitive gralat activity in the game. We all see how people lose their minds when frogs come out for the year, because they want those mounts, hats, and accessories. If bugs held that much worth the competition would be similar to that of the frogs and people would have to earn their catches and gralats individually. Every time I see a bug, I'm usually the only one around amidst dozens of people who try to catch them, because I still care. The fact that others don't even bother should signify that there's a problem, and that must be fixed.

Just read your spoiler text. Totally agree. Bugs have just died off this year to the extent that there's no point pursuing them 90% of the time.

On top of that, loot has become exceedingly difficult to catch, compared to how it was. Someone has decided to implement a system where it's not even possible to reach some of the loot bubbles in time to dive for them (they show up at a longer distance than can be reached before they vanish). Seems a bit sadistic, not just money hungry.