Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   GraalOnline Classic (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   A story about leaderboards (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35434)

qes 04-28-2016 06:54 PM

A story about leaderboards

In 2010 back when I went by the name spiderman, when they first released leaderboards, the competition was crazy for about 1 year straight. This is because there were 4 towers and everybody had a chance at making their way up the leaderboard. First Pandemonium was the power house guild, with guilds like Equinox Character of Japan(S/o to killman) and iBall close behind. Then I remember me and my 5 good friends created a guild called AGK War Section which quickly got to the #1 position (with 300 hours of time, took us 5 months though, because the forts were ACTUALLY hard to keep) Then they released allies (which of course totally changed the game). AGK quickly started kicking and recruiting noobs and putting loyal into "subs" which was what ruined AGKs reputation in 2010 (even though now its acceptable) Eventually somebody hacked into AGK's leadership position and kicked everybody, at which point PULSE passed us on the #1 leaderboard and the rest is history. Anyways, the leaderboards were always close and its like everyday you had to log on to keep the #1 position. Allies kind of killed that... kicking and recruiting wasn't a skill (shout out to PULSE for NOT doing that in 2010/2011) But after PULSE's era, allies were used for kicking and recruiting ever since. Staff were going to stop giving 1k hats after the top 10 guilds achieved it (i wish they did) Its about time they do something because tower competition is all about hats, and THOUSANDS OF HOURS OF FORT TIME, thats not skill, thats scary. We need something new that would bring back Guilds sticking together and allies not being used as a mechanism to kick and recruit people every time somebody logs off.
I have 1 hat from towering, I've been here for 6 or 7 years depending on how you count it. I don't care about hats if obtaining one is just staring at a flag and kicking and recruiting people who are offline/online. I wouldn't mind if they scratch the tower idea completely and give us a new form of PK competition. unlikely :( but I would love it.

Admiral 04-28-2016 06:58 PM

great story man excellent read /0/

qes 04-28-2016 07:04 PM

Thanks man. Guilds used to be about trying to recruit the most active/killer PKers to help you tower, If i didn't contribute enough, people would notice and I would get De-ranked, if i was the lowest Rank I would get kicked. AGK had a big rank system before allies were released:

Emperor (I was for a little while, mainly Shadow)
Omega(aka co leader, me greg88, Guido and trigger who went on to lead Cruxis)
AlPha
BeTa
Upsilon
Gamma
Spartan
then there were 4-5 other cool ones but its been so long i forgot :( hopefully theres an ex-AGK who can remind me. Funny AGK had this whole Greek letter Ranking System, but once you got to the lower ranks it was about Greek Military concepts like "Spartan"

If you go on taylor richards and find the earlier AGK shields you'll notice:
-the AGK spartan shield (all the lower ranks would wear this when we attacked)
-Personal AGK codes like my sman-agk one. (for leaders)

Sorry I miss those days and AGK was what I remember most but anyways the point is

Towering was cool up until they added allies. Once guilds got over 1,000 hours I wanted them to reset the leaderboards and stop giving 1k hats but it just never happened :/

Now all guilds use this "perm" system and kick and recruit and its just like... too mechanical and repetitive
If i could find my iPod 2 (been lost for 4 years) it would be great because i was a screenshot maniac on that thing

Aguzo 04-28-2016 07:23 PM

You want to remove allies?

Perm and sub are titles to show who you should not kick.

It's been this way, because people might end up leaving after a few hours/days of loyalty.
Most people like to join when a guild's hours are at 600+, because they want the 1k hat. Kind of lame.

You never know who is going to stay, and who isn't, so allies are nice to see who will end up actually wanting to stay and put in effort, instead of going afk, or chat all day.

Thallen 04-28-2016 07:30 PM

I always find grieving like this to be sort of pointless since staff are either A.) working on this or B.) going to tell you that they're working on this.

Nonetheless, I agree that allies should be removed because they're nothing more than an extension of the source guild. If that's the case, then the obvious solution is to get rid of them and raise the roster limitation on guilds. I expect that to happen when they get guilds reworked. This also works with the idea that temporary recruiting will be no longer be a thing. If temporary recruiting will be punished, then a 25-member cap is too small of a number. Very dedicated tower guilds that recruit the best and most active members will be able to survive, but the rest would struggle with just getting enough people online.

qes 04-28-2016 07:59 PM

Yea i think guild leaders should be allowed to set their own limits for their guild and i think the Max limit should be 75. that way spar guilds can all set their limits around 20-35 while tower guild leaders would probably all want the full max of 75 so they don't have to kick and recruit anymore and they can have a broad ranking system to promote activity like how it used to be before they added Allies. To be honest this thread was just for me to talk about the way things used to be on iclassic because some people who didn't start playing here until 2012 find it interesting to hear.
Once the limit is raised I hope spar guilds start recruiting less skilled sparrers rather than having the 100% dominant BTK, Alumni, demon, apostles guilds we have now, we can actually add sparrers who are less experienced but more active. What i PRAY doesn't happen, is the most dominant spar guild starts eating up (stealing members) other less dominant spar guilds.

David 04-28-2016 08:44 PM

lmao

GotenGraal 04-28-2016 08:51 PM

Remember when Qes never really posted on Graalians? Man i miss those days

qes 04-28-2016 09:33 PM

Quote:

Posted by GotenGraal (Post 700036)
Remember when Qes never really posted on Graalians? Man i miss those days

your posts per day .69(lol) mine .30 :p

Liz 04-28-2016 09:56 PM

You could fix the problem with temporary recruiting by limiting the number of guild invites each guild is allowed to send out each day.

G Fatal 04-29-2016 12:13 AM

Sorry don't believe... I only see a seasonal ldrbds like who even are these guilds:sarcastic:

Pokki 04-29-2016 02:19 AM

Towering sucks now. Especially the fact that guilds can "home" towers. There is no more action in towering anymore. I did join PULSE yesterday because I think they are going for 5k, but idk.

Red 04-29-2016 02:34 AM

*** up qes

Slacky 04-29-2016 07:53 AM

Quote:

Posted by shinoclassic (Post 700122)
Towering sucks now. Especially the fact that guilds can "home" towers. There is no more action in towering anymore. I did join PULSE yesterday because I think they are going for 5k, but idk.

Yee. Hype is real.

GOAT 04-29-2016 05:06 PM

Quote:

Posted by qes (Post 700006)
In 2010 back when I went by the name spiderman, when they first released leaderboards, the competition was crazy for about 1 year straight. This is because there were 4 towers and everybody had a chance at making their way up the leaderboard. First Pandemonium was the power house guild, with guilds like Equinox Character of Japan(S/o to killman) and iBall close behind. Then I remember me and my 5 good friends created a guild called AGK War Section which quickly got to the #1 position (with 300 hours of time, took us 5 months though, because the forts were ACTUALLY hard to keep) Then they released allies (which of course totally changed the game). AGK quickly started kicking and recruiting noobs and putting loyal into "subs" which was what ruined AGKs reputation in 2010 (even though now its acceptable) Eventually somebody hacked into AGK's leadership position and kicked everybody, at which point PULSE passed us on the #1 leaderboard and the rest is history. Anyways, the leaderboards were always close and its like everyday you had to log on to keep the #1 position. Allies kind of killed that... kicking and recruiting wasn't a skill (shout out to PULSE for NOT doing that in 2010/2011) But after PULSE's era, allies were used for kicking and recruiting ever since. Staff were going to stop giving 1k hats after the top 10 guilds achieved it (i wish they did) Its about time they do something because tower competition is all about hats, and THOUSANDS OF HOURS OF FORT TIME, thats not skill, thats scary. We need something new that would bring back Guilds sticking together and allies not being used as a mechanism to kick and recruit people every time somebody logs off.
I have 1 hat from towering, I've been here for 6 or 7 years depending on how you count it. I don't care about hats if obtaining one is just staring at a flag and kicking and recruiting people who are offline/online. I wouldn't mind if they scratch the tower idea completely and give us a new form of PK competition. unlikely :( but I would love it.

Funny how people exaggerate their stories to their benefit.

Attachment 21552