Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classic Future Improvements (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   The Brazillian Castle Layout (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41407)

4-Lom 05-17-2019 03:00 AM

The Brazillian Castle Layout

3 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

Wanted to point out a phenomenon I'm calling the 'Brazillian Castle' in house building. Currently the top 50 list is saturated with the the same layout. Fences. Castle hedges. Forced Farming. "Box Wars". .. Predominantly Brazillian players (which highlights they're not being provided with meaningful choices in design options, potentially due to language barrier).

As far as game design goes, some one has failed to incentivize creativity, diversity, and variety here. Please check it out for yourself and let me know what you think.

Attachment 27539
Attachment 27540
Attachment 27541

BrandonGraal 05-17-2019 03:04 PM

If u want a Brazilian castle make the castle as laggy as possible bro

Bryan* 05-17-2019 03:20 PM

Easy fix: remove house likes off the seasonal boards

Crono 05-17-2019 04:39 PM

it's done to maximize profit...

Jarace 05-17-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Posted by 4-Lom (Post 825928)
As far as game design goes, some one has failed to incentivize creativity, diversity, and variety here. Please check it out for yourself and let me know what you think.

Well, the house leader board is voted on by players... Maybe this castle is what the majority of the people liking houses want for some reason?

I usually see a lot of people at these houses fighting over the spot behind the slide, so it seems a lot of players enjoy doing that.

I'd be interested to hear what you think would "incentivize creativity, diversity, and variety" rather than just hearing you say that it wasn't incentivized.

4-Lom 05-17-2019 06:47 PM

Hey Jarace.

In a word, effort.

Creating some kind of contest, curated series of events, themes, challenges or anything which would encourage participation.

Maybe hold a competition for a house interior, for example, over the course of a month or two wherein the winner gets their player house added to a location in the overworld? Or maybe have a special set of 3 or 5 warpers that provide access to the winner's house in game to direct interested players there?

Alternatively, working within the bounds of the systems already in place, have a rating system where you allow an individual to rate a house only once in a month or season. The limitation could garner a degree of concern relating to which house they should rate and why. Rate a house at a high rating in order to boost its visibility? Rate a house low so that it doesn't compete? I would recommend (and have recommended) a rating scale of 1-5 in order to generate an average rating for each house.

Keep some kind of record or competition that is governed by impartial staff members. Have a list of the top 50 for the season culminate in some kind of voting scenario for a 'staff favorite' or 'people's choice' categories.

Holiday themed events for builds or counter-season events (christmas in july, tropical vacation in december, etc) with an entry fee and prize....

Basically involvement and investment of time and effort could generate an entirely different focus when it comes to the building aspect of the game. For the record I've given tons of ideas over the years on this and would be glad to come up with something more elaborate if required.

Jarace 05-17-2019 08:30 PM

Quote:

Posted by 4-Lom (Post 825950)
Keep some kind of record or competition that is governed by impartial staff members. Have a list of the top 50 for the season culminate in some kind of voting scenario for a 'staff favorite' or 'people's choice' categories. .

I like this one, sounds kind of similar to what Era does. Not sure if you've seen it, but it might be worth a look to see if it is in the same vein of what you'd like to see.

Thanks for the ideas!

Quote:

Posted by 4-Lom (Post 825950)
Holiday themed events for builds or counter-season events (christmas in july, tropical vacation in december, etc) with an entry fee and prize..

I've seen some Holiday-related stuff like that done on graal's instagram, though it seems to mostly be outfits with houses mixed in.

4-Lom 05-18-2019 05:02 AM

I've been suggesting such things for years. Since before likes. Nice to have some feedback.

Oh, and I'm generally a PC player - can't stand the controls for any other server (era, ol west, etc) but It would be cool to see some updates or details on era contest formats - can you think of what the thread title on the forums would be off-hand for a search?

Garutias 05-18-2019 05:33 AM

The reason they are so popular is because of the slide wars, they advertise 24/7
and a lot of ppl enter to fight for the statues, most of them advertise out of noob island

4-Lom 05-18-2019 06:55 AM

A lot of the time they're even secondary accounts, I've found.
Generally non responsive, but if you send a message they will sometimes respond from another profile... this activity isn't so much my concern as the dearth of innovation in such a robust system.

Sir Travis 05-19-2019 03:32 PM

Well I’ve never seen 4-Lom at the top, and that fella has blown my mind with housing ideas for years

I would love to see the leaderboard for house changed to reflect style, Perhaps a panel of admins could review the list players voted for and maybe distill it into categories?

I’d love to get a constructive dialogue to repair what could become one of bigger draws to the game

McCullough 05-20-2019 01:56 PM

Current house voting situation:

Brazilian makes farm house with a bunch of stupid clutter.

Spams pets everywhere saying "Like my house!"

Maybe has a useless code shop..

Ugly house altogether.

Profit + high on leader board.

Kids don't understand the depth of the "Like" button, so I could see the uselessness and sure exploitation of the feature for aweful houses in some way.

This was a big slap in the face for all of the real house designers who put forth not just effort, but creativity. The current top houses on the leader board harbar neither of those.

A dislike button could be added, too, but that's abusive until specific perameters are instilled.

Until players like 4-Lom or any house designer gets rewarded for their effort, I'm just going to say oh well to the current state of the leader board.

GOAT 05-20-2019 11:43 PM

Quote:

Posted by Sir Travis (Post 825988)
Well I’ve never seen 4-Lom at the top, and that fella has blown my mind with housing ideas for years

I would love to see the leaderboard for house changed to reflect style, Perhaps a panel of admins could review the list players voted for and maybe distill it into categories?

I’d love to get a constructive dialogue to repair what could become one of bigger draws to the game

Have to agree with 4-loom having some nice layout. The house rating system is basically for the players that advertise their house all day.

Having seasonal decorating competitions like 4-loom mentioned would be fun or holiday themed rooms