Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   Era FAQs and Guides (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Guide to Spar (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2678)

Froggy Krueger 12-18-2011 08:21 AM

So, one of the number one questions I get in Graal is "Can you teach me to spar?" Well, here's how.

What is spar?
Well, spar is essentially one-on-one pk in a box. It's a great place to pit your skills against others, or even practice for events and pk in the streets. You can find arenas all over the game, although the only ones released at the moment are Underground spar (by Lethal Securities base and Start), the Spar Complex (by Blazian Bandits base), and Snake's Beach Spar (under the EggRoll Shack dock).

Techniques

Here are some techniques of sparring I have encountered or used. Their effectiveness varies from player to player, so I advise you to try each and see what works for you.

Dodging Good dodgers are considered the "pros" of spar. Basically, they shoot their weapon at the enemy whenever they see an opportunity, and spend the rest of the time dodging the enemies bullets. A very effective method, but easily countered by Rushing or Rushtrapping.

Spamming Spamming is one of the least effective but most common methods of spar. Easily destroyed by a Dodger or most other methods, they do possess an advantage against Rushers. It is a necessity for a Spammer to have a fast gun, preferably a Browning Automatic Rifle, or a p90.

Rushing Rushing entails running at the enemy and spamming your gun. It turns any match into a more even match, and can be used as a lasts ditch effort against a player with a much higher skill level. Either enemy could emerge victorious, and is a good technique of choice of newer players. However, it is easily and quickly countered by a Rushtrapper or a Miner/Barricader.

RushTrapping Rushtrapping is basically equipping yourself with bear traps and the fastest melee you can get your mitts on, then running at the enemy and attempting to lay down a trap on top of him. Once trapped, you melee his health down, repeating if you did not finish after trapping him once. If you succeed twice, or even once depending on your melee, the match is decisively over in your favor. Another good technique against players with a higher skill level.

Mining/Barricading With Mining, possibly the most effective counter to Rushing, the player equips himself with proximity minesand a good gun for spar. The player then proceeds to mine the area around him and also along the bottom if possible, to hurt the enemy if he approaches. Mines can even be used for Barricading, where essentially the player makes a wall of placeable items, preferably traps, and fires from behind their safety. Barricading is not to be attempted if the enemy has an artillery cannon.

Author's Note: Hugging the bottom is not really a technique, as it is worked into just about all techniques. The best way to counter this isto mine or trap up the bottom wall, so the enemy cannot use it.

Thanks for reading my guide!

apex 12-18-2011 08:25 AM

Hey Thanks froggy, I recently sparred and my score was W-347 L-150 and now if you check it is W-745 L-201 thanks you helped alot

LavaClaw 12-18-2011 08:37 AM

I like this guide, You should expand on it with more methods, What are the best guns to use for each method/overall. I should really start sparring so i'll use this guide.
+Rep for you good sir.
Edit: Can't +rep you :(

Froggy Krueger 12-18-2011 12:16 PM

Reserving this spot in case I ever run out of room :)

maystro 12-18-2011 01:53 PM

rushtrapping me gusta now that i have a good meele where can ı but bear traps

MattKan 12-18-2011 02:38 PM

There was some really good spar tutorial by some dude on UN, I think, probably Rufus will post here with the link.

Froggy Krueger 12-18-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

Posted by MattKan (Post 45282)
There was some really good spar tutorial by some dude on UN, I think, probably Rufus will post here with the link.

UN has a different system though, I'm talking about Era/iEra and other modern servers ^_^

Thunderstorm 12-18-2011 09:53 PM

Well done Froggy! :)
+Rep, (even though it won't do anything)

Kavan 12-18-2011 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My method.

Dragu 01-04-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Posted by Kavan (Post 45434)
My method.

I wish you luck getting 'headshots' on era. haha

TAKACHI 01-07-2012 12:42 PM

were can you get the traps ?

NCJohn 01-07-2012 01:20 PM

Quote: