Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technology (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Why has my ram count reduced by almost a third (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37713)

BEH0LD iTz SAM 12-30-2016 09:41 AM

Why has my ram count reduced by almost a third

So I bought a laptop a little over a year ago, it's been fine but i've noticed over the months the amount of available ram I have has slowly began to decrease.

I'm not exactly a computer expert but I didn't really think that RAM was something that depleted/used up and would require replacing like memory on a harddrive, and after trying to google solutions to this I couldn't really find many links similar to my issue, with nothing recent.
I don't really use my laptop for anything extensive such as gaming/ watching videos. Mostly just photoshop and graal.
I had made a few youtube videos so was rending them the cause of this?

I don't know whether I can even replace my RAM as i'm on a prebuild laptop so am I screwed when it eventually runs out? Or is there something I can do/ things to delete for the missing ram to become re available again?

http://i.imgur.com/8zlUSgA.png

hosler 12-30-2016 06:10 PM

This is normal. Running apps live in memory

Yog 12-30-2016 06:37 PM

More apps running = more RAM used. Your total RAM never changes.

You have more than enough to worry though.

Sig. 12-30-2016 06:44 PM

Quote:

Posted by Yog (Post 752441)
More apps running = more RAM used. Your total RAM never changes.

You have more than enough to worry though.

like about not losing your teeths??

BEH0LD iTz SAM 12-30-2016 07:20 PM

Yea you guys are right. I knew thats what RAM did I just didn't expect that as I was using only a few windows it was enough to be using 5GB of my memory. Apparently I have a ton of background things running that I didn't even know were opened.
I mean chrome and photoshop which is all I have opened and are the top two programs currently using the most only accounts for 800mb total of memory.

Even accounting for the other programs my task manager says its running the total doesn't seem like it would equate to 5GB, maybe 3GB at the most

My next question is whether there is some kind of way to close all the unnecessary background programs that are running with no purpose to free up my ram without individually ending them on task manager. (or is the answer simple again like restarting your computer)

Seems kind of stupid if I can't to be limited to only 10 or so/ the 16gb I bought. Had I only gone with 8GB of RAM I may aswell have been better off with my old computer

Sig. 12-30-2016 08:31 PM

Remove programs you don't use anymore and use another browser instead of chrome

November* 01-21-2017 07:58 PM

Sam ram doesn't matter,

Crono 01-22-2017 09:45 AM

Quote:

Posted by November* (Post 758513)
Sam ram doesn't matter,

...?

Saizo 01-23-2017 01:12 AM

Quote:

Posted by BEH0LD iTz SAM (Post 752451)
Yea you guys are right. I knew thats what RAM did I just didn't expect that as I was using only a few windows it was enough to be using 5GB of my memory. Apparently I have a ton of background things running that I didn't even know were opened.
I mean chrome and photoshop which is all I have opened and are the top two programs currently using the most only accounts for 800mb total of memory.

Even accounting for the other programs my task manager says its running the total doesn't seem like it would equate to 5GB, maybe 3GB at the most

My next question is whether there is some kind of way to close all the unnecessary background programs that are running with no purpose to free up my ram without individually ending them on task manager. (or is the answer simple again like restarting your computer)

Seems kind of stupid if I can't to be limited to only 10 or so/ the 16gb I bought. Had I only gone with 8GB of RAM I may aswell have been better off with my old computer

what kind of OS ? i guess its windows 10 ? if you want a smaller ram usage, use LINUX,

but well, since youre using windows rn, try to stop some startup services, go and get some uttility software that can easily clean your PCs for you, like ccleaner, glary, 365 or advanced systemcare.

or go get bitsum lasso, if youre into gaming and want to stop most of these peasants background apps and services while youre gaming so you got no lag.

However, most of the background processes and services have their own function. and force closing some of them might lead to a system reboot, but you will be fine as long you don't touch anything starts with 'windows' or 'microsoft' thought.

Yog 01-23-2017 01:26 AM

Quote:

Posted by Saizo (Post 759002)
However, most of the background processes and services have their own function. and force closing some of them might lead to a system reboot, but you will be fine as long you don't touch anything starts with 'windows' or 'microsoft' thought.

Windows 10 warns you before ending any system processes, so kill all the tasks to your hearts content!!!

Ryan 01-23-2017 04:11 AM

just download some more no biggie

The Doctor 01-23-2017 04:13 AM

Quote:

Posted by Ryan (Post 759055)
just download some more no biggie

deditated wam

Advent 01-23-2017 11:43 PM

http://downloadmoreram.com