Graalians

Graalians (https://www.graalians.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Chat (https://www.graalians.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Can't keep a running schedule/commitment (https://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27628)

Platinum 02-17-2015 09:37 AM

Can't keep a running schedule/commitment

I can't keep a persistent running schedule for more than 3 weeks.
I'll start and run every second day, and then just stop for some excuse that I give myself, and I don't have any motivation to keep going.

I want to get into the top 10 of cross country (4kms) and hopefully the Athletics team for 100m, but I can never run fast enough for either. This is where my training should come in, but I never do it properly, both time management and the way I do it wise. I'd love to have some advice or a possible solution to my problem! Thanks!

HappyCat123 02-17-2015 10:16 AM

We can give you all the advice we can, but if you aren't motivated to get better then it is worthless. You gotta find that motivation yourself. This shouldn't be some internal battle for you. Stop this "oh I could do it tomorrow" bull****. Be real with yourself and do what's best for you. If you can't do that, you don't have what it takes to be a winner and you should quit.

hosler 02-17-2015 01:29 PM

I had the same kind of problem. My solution was to force down a workout supplement shake. At that point I HAD to go lift or else I would damage my heart.

Cookie Xanadu 02-17-2015 03:24 PM

Quote:

Posted by hosler (Post 542022)
I had the same kind of problem. My solution was to force down a workout supplement shake. At that point I HAD to go lift or else I would damage my heart.

Whoa, more on this? Never knew that they could damage your heart.

And for OP: Basically what the other guy said. If you have no motivation then either find new ways to gain motivation and support or don't bother.

Kieran2820 02-17-2015 04:31 PM

Find something you are actually motivated in doing

Admiral 02-17-2015 05:04 PM

You have a goal, why can't you follow through? Thats your problem.

You could try a different approach to completing your goal though. Why not start by just running to the local park and back? Then next time go a bit further, and a bit further, and so on, that way you can SEE progress.

Shiz 02-17-2015 06:04 PM

This happens a lot to me when I work out. There are TONS of motivational videos on YouTube. I can workout but when I start slacking again I just watch these and get back to it. These motivational videos give you a view into what you're working for and push you to keep going.

GOAT 02-18-2015 01:48 AM

Quote:

Posted by Platinum (Post 541984)
I can't keep a persistent running schedule for more than 3 weeks.
I'll start and run every second day, and then just stop for some excuse that I give myself, and I don't have any motivation to keep going.

One week you run 4 days out of the week and the next week you run 3 days out of the week. Keep it simple and try M, W, and F. Repetition can be pretty boring, so it might help if you find other activities to replace one day of running(maybe biking? you would have to google that to see if it helps)

Quote:

I want to get into the top 10 of cross country (4kms) and hopefully the Athletics team for 100m, but I can never run fast enough for either. This is where my training should come in, but I never do it properly, both time management and the way I do it wise. I'd love to have some advice or a possible solution to my problem! Thanks!

After you figure out how to maintain your running schedule without quitting you should do research on things you can do to improve your endurance(long distance running) and your speed (sprints)

Shiz 02-18-2015 01:50 AM

Soccer can be a HUGE help for running. If not then better.

kenthefruit 02-18-2015 02:13 AM

Keep a journal. Inside talk about what you ran that day and how far. Keep positive comments in it to keep you motivated.

MrSimons 02-18-2015 02:38 AM

Sounds to me that the problem isn't motivation, you have a goal and know how to do it. You need more self discipline. There is no way you, or anyone will be able to stay motivated to do something for a long period of time. You will naturally lose motivation. You just need to be able to control yourself.

Also if your school has a track or CC team, join that. It is much harder to skip out on work outs when others are relying on you to be there.

5hift 02-18-2015 02:38 AM

It's all about integrity of you ask me.

You really need to push yourself to work on a schedule even though deep inside you want to do other stuff.

Just remember, a schedule is a schedule and it'd be damn pointless if you made one and not stick to it.

I for one don't even bother making a schedule because my own integrity is at an all time low.

Ghettoicedtea 02-18-2015 03:51 AM

Well you just have a simple issue of procrastination. Well your speaking with the right guy on how to break it. Heres how i did it. I procrastinate on HW a lot. What i do is i shut down everything for an hour, lock it so it wont open until the hours up, do what im supposed to do, then if i finish before the timer runs out then i unlock it and get back to whatever it was.

Crono 02-18-2015 10:44 AM

Quote:

I'd love to have some advice or a possible solution to my problem! Thanks!

just do it

Talon 02-20-2015 02:43 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...o_NIKE.svg.png